No SMB(windows) access at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRANGERS423

Dabbler
I have been trying to create a share to access the files on my pool. My flash drive that used previously died, so I installed freenas again and upgraded to freenas 11.2, and imported the older pool. When I create a share I use the SMB share for windows I set the path /mnt/NASVolume/michaelData. Then I create a group called users, then a user name michael and add him to the group users. When I go to the data set and set permissions the owner is michael and the group is users the permission type is windows. When I try to access the share through the finder on my windows machine I get "windows can not access XXXXX" " You do not have permission to access XXXXX" Even root can not gain access, even if root was the owner of the permissions. What can I do to find out what the issue is to access my files?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have been trying to create a share to access the files on my pool. My flash drive that used previously died, so I installed freenas again and upgraded to freenas 11.2, and imported the older pool. When I create a share I use the SMB share for windows I set the path /mnt/NASVolume/michaelData. Then I create a group called users, then a user name michael and add him to the group users. When I go to the data set and set permissions the owner is michael and the group is users the permission type is windows. When I try to access the share through the finder on my windows machine I get "windows can not access XXXXX" " You do not have permission to access XXXXX" Even root can not gain access, even if root was the owner of the permissions. What can I do to find out what the issue is to access my files?
Post output of:
"testparm -s"
"getfacl /mnt/NASVolume/michaelData"
"id michael"
"net groupmap list"

Skro

Contributor
I'm no expert, but if you installed Windows 10’s problematic October 2018 update, it broke some things with network drives. If you have Windows 10 and you installed that update, a fix was released this week. Here is the KB.

NYRANGERS423

Dabbler
I'm no expert, but if you installed Windows 10’s problematic October 2018 update, it broke some things with network drives. If you have Windows 10 and you installed that update, a fix was released this week. Here is the KB.
SKro, thanks for the advise to update windows. That did the trick, and I should have thought to update windows, I was convinced it was a issue with freenas. THANKS

Skro

Contributor
I'm glad it helped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.