Unable to Boot any Windows .iso in VM

Arkhen

Explorer
When starting the VM and viewing it through VNC Viewer, I'm just presented with the UEFI Interactive Shell. It's not properly booting the .iso I added under "Devices"->"CD-ROM" in the FreeNAS GUI.
If I type "exit" (to enter the BHYVE BIOS) -> and hit "Continue" I'll just be sent back to the UEFI Interactive Shell again.

DfFufC6.png

Q9EcDmP.png

GbudSaB.png

NAS Hardware listed in my signature.
Freenas Build: FreeNAS-11.1-U4

VM Settings
Virtual CPUs: 4
RAM: 6144 MiB
Boot Method: UEFI
Autostart checked
50 GB Disk

Attempted .iso's: W7 64, W2016 Server, and W10.
The same VM settings are able to boot and install an Ubuntu .iso just fine.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong, I'm still very wet behind the ears when it comes to the FreeNAS VMs.

Thanks a lot in advance!

scrappy

Patron
Enable 'Wait to boot' in VNC device from your VM. Now, after you start your Windows VM it won't actually do anything until you have connected your VNC Client. After opening your VNC client to the VM you should see a "press any key" message that will time out if not pressed (Which is why you keep ending up in the UEFI shell). Be sure to press a random key on your keyboard before the message times out and the Windows Installer should begin.

Arkhen

Explorer
Enable 'Wait to boot' in VNC device from your VM. Now, after you start your Windows VM it won't actually do anything until you have connected your VNC Client. After opening your VNC client to the VM you should see a "press any key" message that will time out if not pressed (Which is why you keep ending up in the UEFI shell). Be sure to press a random key on your keyboard before the message times out and the Windows Installer should begin.
I tested with "Wait to boot" enabled under the Devices -> VNC from the FreeNAS GUI. But I don't even get the "press any key to continue" prompt.
Below is the only thing I got before I was thrown into the Shell.

97hc1pJ.png

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
Wish I could give you more advice here but I haven't come across that screen you are seeing. Hopefully somebody else here knows what is going on.

kernalzero

Dabbler
any solution to this? Having similar issues with 11.1-U5

krys

Cadet
I have the same problem. It is like my iso file wasn't loaded.
Some screens, please help.
1578343223629.png

1578343281101.png

1578343440604.png

krys

Cadet
As above I tested also Ubuntu and Win10_x64 iso images.
They work without problems.
So I think that Win7 is not supported :(.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Windows 7 works. It's a bit tedious to maneuver around the installer without a mouse, but it's possible. BTDT ;)
I suspect the root problem lies in the third screenshot of the thread creator. IIRC you need a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

Kind regards
Patrick

krys

Cadet
You are right. Previously I tested the 32bit version.
It works on 64bit.
Is this situation ok?