can't boot iso with uefi-csm boot method

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunEy

Dabbler
I'm trying to install kerio control which doesn't support uefi.
Everytime I cu into the vm all I get is a blank screen.
I have been able to install centos 6 with uefi-csm in the past but even now centos iso cannot boot with ueft-csm either.
removing the cdrom will boot into shell.
I'm running the lastest stable 11.1-U4

KrisBee

Wizard
I don't remember the UEFI-CSM boot method ever working, and it certainly doesn't work now. Nor have I seen any indication of an upstream fix to this variant of the byhve uefi firmware.

Using iohyve is your only option for now.

BunEy

Dabbler
Used to work during corral and shortly after still works now I think just iso boot is not working.
Something must have been broken recently.
I managed to install in iohyve and copy the disk over.
It's working nicely now booting via uefi-csm.

KrisBee

Wizard
Corral is dead, I discounted it. I presume you used iohyve with grub-bhye as the loader, but what exactly do you mean by "... and copy the disk over" ? A VM created in iohyve will not appear in the WebUI, so I'm not clear what's happening when you say "now booting via uefi-csm".

BunEy

Dabbler
yes, grub-bhyve in iohyve.
when installation is complete copy the zvol to a new location.
added a new vm in gui using uefti-csm and attached the disk.
boot and vola :)

now i have 2x uefti-csm and 1x uefti and a jail.
it's a beautiful creation, wish it was simpler.
I quite liked Corral, it worked well for me, don't know why it was killed off.

KrisBee

Wizard
OK, that works if you want both iohyve and bhyve active on your system at the same time.

But UEFI-CSM is not working as portrayed in the FreeNAS 11 guide and as implied in the WebUI options. If you cannot use it as a working install option via the webUI, you can't create a VM that will boot with the UEFI-CSM option.

Really you should be able to use bhyve only at the CLI to do the same thing you've done with iohyve. Create a zvol via the webUI for the VM. At the CLI create a device.map file for grub-byhve. Load the linux kernel with the appropriate grub-byhve command then start the VM with the appropriate bhyve command to boot your install iso, etc. But there'll be no bridge net device to attach the tap to unless a VM created via webui has already been started or it's done manually.

All rather messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.