SOLVED Unable to access FreeNAS system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frough

Cadet
Hello. I'm embarrassed to say, but I have an Acronis backup job that seems to have gotten away from me. It appears that I filled up all use-able space on my FreeNAS box. I am now unable to access the web GUI. When I tried to plug a keyboard and monitor in, the keyboard was showing inputs on the screen, but I was not getting the standard menu options. Upon rebooting, I am now stuck on "mounting local file systems."

I'm currently using a 4TB FreeNAS pre-configured cube with 16GB of memory. I am using ZFS file systems.

Any suggestions on how I can recover this, delete those backups, and get back to normal would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what other details I need to provide about my setup to help.

I'm generally a novice when it comes to this, so my setup is pretty basic. I have two pools and each one has its own CIFS mount point. I've got a grand total of 3 users on the system. Lastly, I have one jail and miniDLNA running in it.

enemy85

Guru
what does "FreeNAS pre-configured cube " means?
PRE-CONFIGURED from who?

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? Can you post a pic of where the boot hangs?

Frough

Cadet
I believe I'm running 9.2. The attached file shows where I am stuck. I am wondering if doubling the memory to 32gig would help in this situation. It seems to be processing and reading all drives for about 30 seconds before all of the 'working' lights go off and the HDs stop spinning.

Attachments

• WP_20141230_001.jpg
    WP_20141230_001.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 172
D

dlavigne

Adding more RAM certainly wouldn't hurt. If that doesn't let the pool mount, you may have to go into single-user mode.

Frough

Cadet
After installing an additional 16gig of memory (now 32gig total), "Mounting local file systems:." has been working for the past half hour. However, the hard drives are all still spinning and reading unlike before where it quit 30 seconds in. This looks promising.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you turn on dedup?

Frough

Cadet
Out-of-box, the system builders set up my root file system dedup as 'inherit'. I've never changed that setting from 'inherit' to anything else (yes, verify, no). I know dedup is very memory intensive, so I didn't mess with any of that personally. The good news is that after about an hour everything came back up and I was able to get into my backup folder and delete all of the erroneous backups. Problem solved! Thanks everyone.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The root file system can't be "inherit" as there is nothing above the root file system to inherit the setting from.

Glad it came up though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.