Unable to Access CIFS After Reboot (FreeNAS-11.1-U1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkhen

Explorer
Hi,

So this morning after booting up I'm unable to access my CIFS Windows share of my FreeNas server.
I'm unable to find the share when typing the usually working: \\freenas and if I punch in the local IP of the server instead I can see the share, but it says I don't have permission when I attempt to login.

• I've tried restarting the entire server, the SMB service, my router, and my PC client to no avail.
• I have a Plex media server running on the same server, and I'm able to access that just fine and play the files with no problems.
• Needless to say I'm also able to log in to the server's GUI just fine.

Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SSH-F
Build: FreeNAS-11.1-U1
CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5
HDD: WD 4TB Reds
RAM: Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4 ECC

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Nick2253

Wizard
First off, did anything change? Have you changed any settings on your PC or FreeNAS? Any updates?

Using the NetBIOS name isn't that reliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So it's not surprising to me that you can't access your server with \\freenas. If you really want to be able to use a name, then you should really look at setting up, or better configuring, a DNS server and local domain. You probably have a rudimentary DNS server on your router (usually they're just configured as a DNS forwarder), which can probably be configured to do what you need done. However, that's pretty far outside of the scope here. There are quite a few resources on configuring/setting this up online.

On the permission front, how are they configured? Are your shares open to everyone? Or do you have it locked down to particular users? When you say "attempt to login", are you actually getting a username/password prompt? Are you mis-typing your password (double check caps lock)?

Arkhen

Explorer
I should have been more clear in my original post. I had not changed anything, the update to FreeNAS-11.1-U1 was several days back.
Anyway I fixed the issue. I cleared my user profiles and added them again using the exact same settings as before, then did the same with my SMB share.

Thank you for your help though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.