We’ve been building servers and storage for open source for over 20 years. We’re also the people behind FreeNAS, the most popular storage operating system in the world.
Now, we’re putting the two together to present the all-new FreeNAS Mini. We hand-picked the hardware, tested it, and put it through the rigorous iXsystems burn-in process. Hands down, this is the best home or small office storage system you can buy, anywhere. With 16GB of ECC RAM, an 8-Core 2.4GHz Intel Processor with AES-NI (Low Power), dual gigabit network links, and the familiar FreeNAS interface, the FreeNAS Mini does more than store your data: it keeps it safe and makes it more useful than you ever imagined possible.
The new FreeNAS Mini is designed from the ground up to be the absolute best hardware you can use for FreeNAS. The multi-core processor is capable of multiple HD streams simultaneously, and the advanced encryption instructions make data encryption just as fast as writing the data in the clear. From now on, performance will be no object! ECC RAM is the icing on the cake, keeping your precious data safe from in-flight corruption. In addition, the FreeNAS Mini utilizes Western Digital Red NAS drives in its front loading, tool-less drive bays, which now support hot-swap functionality.
We thought that the world’s best storage software deserved the best hardware possible.
Now we’re sharing it with you. Read more in “Features” below, buy it on Amazon, or request a quote directly from our FreeNAS Storage Specialists.
- Power Efficient Eight-Core 2.4GHz CPU, drawing only 17 Watts
- Hardware-accelerated ZFS disk encryption
- 16GB of ECC memory = max performance and data protection (upgradeable to 32GB)
- Hot swap functionality with tool-less, front loading drive bays
- Capable of Saturating Dual Intel Gigabit LAN Ports
- Dedicated Remote Hardware Management Port (IPMI) or option to share through on-board LAN
- Latest FreeNAS version installed and configured on dedicated, internal flash device
- 3 x USB 2.0 Ports (2 front, 1 rear), 1 x Serial Port (DB9), 1 x VGA
- Optional internal Read and/or Write flash caches available upon request
- Physical security: locking front bezel, latchable drive trays, and chassis lock eyelet (for cable or pad lock)
FreeNAS Mini Datasheet
Updated on 06 March 2014
FreeNAS Mini Specifications
|Case||4-Bay Enclosure w/ Locking Front Bezel - Super Quiet Design (<50db w/ WD Red Drives)|
|Maximum Capacity||Up to 16TB depending on RAID layout.||CPU||8-Core 2.4GHz Intel Processor with AES-NI (Low Power)|
|Memory||16GB DDR3 with ECC standard, 32GB upgrade optional|
|RAID Level||RAID-Z (RAID 5), ZFS Mirror (RAID 10), ZFS Stripe|
|Network||2 x 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port
Dedicated RJ-45 IPMI Port (Remote Hardware Management)
|Hard Drive Trays||4 x SATA 3.5” Hot-Swappable Drive Bays
2 x SATA 2.5" Internal Drive Bays (high performance cache drives available)
|Power Supply||100V to 240V AC|
|Power Frequency||50/60 Hz, Single Phase|
Without Drives: 24W idle
With 4 x WD Red NAS Drives: 37W idle; 47W @ max load
|User Control Interface||Web Browser and Remote Hardware Management|
|Dimension (in.)||9.45" W x 8.27 " D x 9.45" H (240 x 210 x 240mm)|
|Weight (lb)||10.8lb (without drives)|
|Certifications||CE, FCC, UL, RoHS|
|Burn-In||Standard iXsystems Server Burn-In|
|Limited Warranty||1 Year|
|Package Contents||FreeNAS Mini (1)
Power Cord (1)
Quick Start Guide (1)
Case Door Key (2)
Removable Disk Tray (4)
The FreeNAS® Mini is available in these models:
- 16TB - $1895 - 4 x 4TB Drives
- 12TB - $1695 - 4 x 3TB Drives
- 8TB - $1495 - 4 x 2TB Drives
- 4TB - $1295 - 4 x 1TB Drives
- Bare - $995 - No Drives Included
The following upgrades are available to the base system:
- Memory upgrade - $ 225 - additional 2x8GB ECC 1600mhz memory (32GB system total)
- L2ARC (Read Cache) - $145 - 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
- ZIL (Write Cache) - $115 - 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
We use WD RED Drives for a reason!
The secret is the next-generation technology
WD's next generation NASware 2.0 technology improves NAS storage performance by reducing common hard drive concerns in NAS systems. This includes concerns for things like compatibility, integration, upgrade ability, reliability and cost of ownership that are experienced with a hard drive designed for desktop computers.
3D Active Balance Plus
Our enhanced dual-plane balance control technology significantly improves the overall drive performance and reliability. Hard drives that are not properly balanced may cause excessive vibration and noise in a multi-drive system, reduce the hard drive life span, and degrade the performance over time.
Since your NAS system is always on, a highly reliable drive is essential. With a 35% MTBF improvement over standard desktop drives, the WD Red drive with NASware 2.0 is designed and manufactured to be a more reliable and robust solution.
Lower operating temperatures
Reduce your electricity bill and carbon footprint with WD Red drives. Innovative technology reduces power consumption and lowers the operating temperature, resulting in a more reliable and affordable solution for always on 24x7 NAS environments.
Request a Quote
Please fill out the inquiry form below to get in touch with an account executive who will custom tailor a solution to meet your specific needs.