BUILD Ultimate Home Server/Media Atom Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
I am putting together a parts list for a home backup server and media centre. I have usually used debian (with ZFS) but want to use FreeNAS this time.
My aims are to use my 8x Hitachi Ultrastars (3TB) and keep power consumption relatively low while having enough grunt for running dual graphics outputs and playing 1080p movies.
(I am considering running it off a 12V solar battery in the future)
I usually build to last at least 5 years, so some of the specs may be a bit overkill.

So far I have put together the following list, would be interested to gear about any problems I may encounter or sugestions:

Chasis: Silverstone SST-DS380B http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452
SFX PSU: ST45SF-G http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342
Mobo: Supermicro A1SRM-2758F http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRM-2758F.cfm or similar (must have 2x PCI)
http://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-a1sam-2750f-and-a1srm-2758f-thread.2906/
RAM: 16GB ECC DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB (4x SAS, 4x SATA) * have already

PCI:
Controller: LSI 9300-8i 8port Int 12gb/s (SATA/SAS) - looks like it works in FreeNAS https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4779
Cables: Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) to 4x SATA Cable
Graphics: Looking for low profile card, probably:
- Low Profile Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB
OR
- Low Profile AFOX Radeon HD 7850 2GB

The main question I have are:
- will I have any issues with the Marvell gigabit ethernet ports?
- will there be enough grunt on the atom for this sort of usage?

krikboh

Patron
FreeNAS will not output your media over the vide output. The video out only displays a text console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
I see from reading a bit more that FreeNAS is not really ideal for running a media server front-end. I guess I'm better off running debian with ZFS drivers, or maybe even FreeNAS as a Xen DomU with PCI passthrough to the SAS controller.

MtK

Patron
I see from reading a bit more that FreeNAS is not really ideal for running a media server front-end. I guess I'm better off running debian with ZFS drivers, or maybe even FreeNAS as a Xen DomU with PCI passthrough to the SAS controller.
How did you get to that conclusion?
Many (!) forum posts here talk exactly about how people use it to store media, and how not to virtualize it...

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
My reasoning is as follows:
1) I want to run the storage and media centre on the same hardware
2) FreeNas appears unsuited to running a media front-end (that's fine it does storage well from what I understand)
3) Debian is good for running a front end and can do good virtualisation
4) I understand Xen and it should be able to hand off the storage controlled to FreeNAS in a DomU

Therefore,
a) running FreeNAS virtualised sounds like a good solution for my needs.
The other alternatives are to:
b) run Debian with ZFSonLinux (which is mostly stable on my other machine but I understand performance is better on FreeBSD)
c) run FreeBSD (which would be interesting to learn more about anyway) - on a side note, weird that it cannot run as Xen Dom0 yet.

===EDIT====
PCI passthrough will not work on Atom processors (no VT-d)
so looks like option a (FreeNAS virtualised) is the only way to go to get the features needed.

Think I'll go with option c and give FreeBSD a try.
Thanks for the comments

Grymok

Dabbler
Why not just use the server as a storage and then get a dedicated streamer, instead of the thing you'r trying?.
At first i was at the same place to do it all in 1 single box, but after some thoughts on it, I went with a streamer and then the storage at the side.

The NAS to SHARE your files and the player to STREAM it. Will be much better. Else you gotta take care of HDMI out for DTS HD MAster, Dolby TrueHD etc.
With the seperate solution you just need network between the devices. Instead of get the NAS close to your TV/AVR to output for video.

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
One of the main reasons I am doing the build is to reduce power consumption, so why do with two machines what you can do with one?
Not too worried about getting the graphics card to output, this is fairly trivial in debian anyway.

Grymok

Dabbler
One of the main reasons I am doing the build is to reduce power consumption, so why do with two machines what you can do with one?
Not too worried about getting the graphics card to output, this is fairly trivial in debian anyway.

That's the problem, you can't get a graphics card which only output like 7 watt as a medie streamer does. Take the Med8er med1000x3d it uses under 10 watt with an internal HDD and EVEN less with no HDD in it.
If that can be done with less consumption in an all in one box solution, i will be impressed, but i just don't think it will :).
The main drawback for me, was the lack of Sound codecs and struggles i would probably get.

MtK

Patron
and leaving aside the fact that there is no good reason to mix functionality (a fridge has no reason to act as a coffee machine just because the milk is stored inside), it's probably cheaper to buy a streaming device than to actually buy a decent graphic card (and you will probably connect it to a Smart TV at some point that already is capable of some sort of playing media).

Grymok

Dabbler
and leaving aside the fact that there is no good reason to mix functionality (a fridge has no reason to act as a coffee machine just because the milk is stored inside), it's probably cheaper to buy a streaming device than to actually buy a decent graphic card (and you will probably connect it to a Smart TV at some point that already is capable of some sort of playing media).

I didn't say it wasn't a good solution. But i did state other reasons not to do it. But of course he didn't mention what he wanted to play with the box :D
My situation with Blu-ray rips with the audio codecs etc, wasn't the right solution for me :)

Scareh

Contributor
i stream 1080p mkv through a raspberry pi, that gets his power from my TV directly (usb port). So basicly no power consumption.
Try and beat that.

Grymok

Dabbler
i stream 1080p mkv through a raspberry pi, that gets his power from my TV directly (usb port). So basicly no power consumption.
Try and beat that.

That ain't included in the NAS :).
But i think an rasp and med1000x3d draws close to each other the same amount of power. Again the rasp lack audio codecs like Dolby trueHD and dts master hd ;)

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
Good points on video card power consumption (the 7750 draws 58 watts at idle!). A pity that that mobo doesn't have HDMI/DVI out as standard. Nevertheless, at least I can tune the power consumption by swapping out video cards.
The raspberry pi is an interesting idea, especially considering it can run x2go http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13130
However, I need dual monitor display (1 to projector, 1 to general purpose monitor).

OK, I guess someone would have pointed out the error of my ways as far as hardware choice by now, now to find the parts....

As far as video format, it will play mostly 1080p mkv/raw (and HSBS 3d) and TV via a DigitalNow TinyTwin USB, planning on using XMBC to manage content. For audio, hoping for SPDIF out surround which I guess the video card will need to do.

Scareh

Contributor
*cough* raspbmc *cough*

The audio gets streamed to my TV directly through the HDMI-cable, so its basicly the audio you get from your tv, which in most cases is more then enough imo.

my setup: tv with hdmi-cable to raspberry pi, which is turning raspbmc, who gets its data from freenas (through network) where i am running plex upon.

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
Thanks for advice everyone, I have pulled the trigger and the parts are in the mail, just waiting on a cheap enough RAM Supplier.
The parts changed slightly with a bit more research, here's the final list:

Chasis: Silverstone SST-DS380B
SFX PSU: ST45SF-G
Mobo: Supermicro A1SAM-2750F http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SAM-2750F.cfm
RAM: 16GB (2x8g) ECC DDR3 1600MHz - low volatge 1.35V
HDD: Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB (6x SAS, 2x SATA) * have already
SSD: Intel SC3700 200GB
SAS Controller: LSI 9211-8i 8port Int 6gb/s (SATA/SAS)
Cables: 2x Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) to 4x SATA Cable
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro 600 (with HDMI ausio splitter)
Elgato EyeTV tuner
Logitech TK820 Wireless Keyboard with trackpad

Parts were cheaper than i thought, should work out to about $1500 all up (I already had the drives but they would cost another $1600 at least)
Hopefully the build goes well...

djb61

Cadet
I'm a little confused, that silverstone case takes a mini ITX board (I have one myself), but you have listed a micro ATX board in the build?

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
Thanks for pointing that out, you're right I may have some difficulty fitting the mobo in that case.
Am thinking I might get away with it if I mod the power supply on to the other side.
Or maybe I'll have to go with the Lian Li v650

The case supplier is close, so luckily no problem if I have to swap it over...

djb61

Cadet
I can't see that you could make that board fit, this is a very small case. It isn't just that dimension you would have an issue with either, the extra depth would encroach on the side mounted fans in the case.

Also you will have problems with the expansion cards, if a card is over 6" long you lose the use of one of the hotswap bays, both of those cards will exceed that (the LSI is 6.6"). I managed to make a mod so I could get an IBM M1015 in mine (a rebadged 9211-8i) without losing the bay but I can't see this working for a graphics card also.

You can see an image which shows the issue with the card and in the second picture how close a mini ITX board comes to the side fans in my thread here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/silverstone-ds380-and-m1015.19255/

zeigerpuppy

Cadet
I think the depth is the same as a mini-ATX (as the board is not full micro-atx size), but it could be quite tricky to get those cards in,
pity I haven't seen a good alternative with hot swap bays.
Anyway, I'll get the parts together and see if there's a way to make it work, I appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.