Build check, mid-high build, home-use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scharbauer

Cadet
Hello

I'm planning on building a nas-box for use at home. It would primarily be used as a nas (nfs file server), for torrenting (rtorrent jail) and possibly also some relatively light server capability (running a virtual server on the machine, or something like that).

Loosely speaking, I want to achieve a pretty good 'mid-high' build. It won't be a really, really exceptional machine.
Here are the parts I think could work:

Case: SilverStone DS380 (holds up to 8 drives, 3.5")
PSU: SilverStone SFX SX600-G 600W

Motherboard & CPU: Supermicro A1SRi-2758F
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM SO-DIMM DDR3L PC12800/1600MHz ECC CL11 8GB (x2, =16 GB)
(I'm also thinking about maybe using memory from Crucial instead)

USB-sticks (boot): SanDisk USB Cruzer Fit 16GB (x2, mirror)
Hard drives: I will use WD Red and/or HGST Deskstar Nas.

Are there any essential components I have missed?
Selecting components proved a bit tricky since I'm inexperienced, but I think "all parts fit together" so to say. The PSU should offer all necessary power-cables, memory is SO-DIMM type et.c. The motherboard only has 6 SATA ports so I will have to add a HBA to be able to use eight drives. More memory will be added in the future.

Thanks for your help :)

Scharbauer

Cadet
The component I thought was the trickiest to select was the PSU, with regards to being able to conclude that the PSU would offer the required amount of connectors.

This PSU SX600-G has four sata connectors. Does each sata power-cable have two connectors on them (i.e. one cable can power two sata harddrives)

I can't really make out that the PSU offers the needed amount of connectors (being able to power eight hard disks). I have simply assumed that it should do so, since Silverstone is the manufacturer of both the case and the psu.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All new units should be fixed by now.

GBillR

Contributor
Does each sata power-cable have two connectors on them (i.e. one cable can power two sata harddrives)

I can't really make out that the PSU offers the needed amount of connectors (being able to power eight hard disks). I have simply assumed that it should do so, since Silverstone is the manufacturer of both the case and the psu.

No. There are only 4 SATA power connections on that power supply. The case you selected doesn't seem to accept a standard ATX power supply, so your options are limited. You could buy something like this: here or here... The supply should be fine with 8 drives.

However, I would probably look for a different case (one that accepts a standard ATX supply)... like this perhaps... if you're stuck on the small form factor cube design.

blebo

Cadet
Just a note, the DS380 powers all of the SATA drive bays with 2x Molex power cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scharbauer

Cadet
No. There are only 4 SATA power connections on that power supply. The case you selected doesn't seem to accept a standard ATX power supply, so your options are limited. You could buy something like this: here or here... The supply should be fine with 8 drives.

Just a note, the DS380 powers all of the SATA drive bays with 2x Molex power cables.

Yes, I also scrutinized the PSU and became somewhat concerned. But after reading a bit I think it works out. (I hope :))

Here's some links on the case / PSU

http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverStone_DS380
In this test they used the SilverStone ST30SF PSU: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=458

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=395
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/top...needs-a-psu-that-can-supply-16amps-on-5v-rail

There's a previous build here on the forum, about one year old, using the same case and PSU as I had in mind.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/purchasing-new-freenas-setup-feedback.40825/

Here is a photo of the drive cage, from Silent PC Review:
13.jpg

GBillR

Contributor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup... completely missed the backplane there. Makes sense now given the P/S rating. Something seemed amiss to me... should have dug a bit deeper.

GBillR

Contributor
Yes, I also scrutinized the PSU and became somewhat concerned. But after reading a bit I think it works out. (I hope :))
There's a previous build here on the forum, about one year old, using the same case and PSU as I had in mind.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/purchasing-new-freenas-setup-feedback.40825/
So it certainly appears that you're on the right track. I completely failed to take a look at the drive cage that the case includes. Stick with the bigger P/S. Would be nice if you could find a couple of other datapoints here on the forum that support use of that case... I would think others here have likely tried it or are using it. My biggest concern would be keeping drive temps in the reasonable range of under 35. Anything above 40 is a recipe for early drive death. A quick forum search pulled up this and Google found this. If you do go forward with this build I would stick with the slower spinning Reds.

Varjo410

Cadet
As far as the DS380 goes, be careful with it as the build quality of later versions is potentially alot less. Shoddy/crooked hotswap bays, inferior capacitors, LED in in the wrong place.
It's in Dutch, but here is a complaint about it.

Scharbauer

Cadet
Art who did a build one year ago using the DS380 case and 600W PSU replied to me and said this:

Art said:
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. I am happy with the case and PSU. I think it could be cooler in the case, but think it's tolerable for 24/7 online and for personal use. Just make sure you have breathing room around the case/fan openings.

I have the case in my living room, so if it's quiet you can hear the case/fans some, but it's not distracting for me, but may for others.

Enjoy and good luck building!

Status
Not open for further replies.