Trying to stream movies with XBox360

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonP123456

Cadet
I have a home built setup using FreeNAS-11.1-U5 that has my movies/series saved on it. All these videos can be saved onto a USB and played directly to my XBox360 so they are supported by it. I just want to be able to skip the USB and stream directly to The XBox. It seems others are doing it and just want to know how it is done. I tried to research it but after hours of research, I have 30+ tabs opened up and many are about previous versions of FreeNAS which is no help. (ie. CIFS shares which I find nowhere in the version I am running.) I just want a simple way that I can stream my videos to my TV (It is not one of those "Smart" TV's). All HDMI ports are used so additional hardware is out of the question nor do I want additional clutter. If this can be accomplished easier with XBox One let me know and I'll consider going that route as they are cheap in pawn stores.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I tried to research it but after hours of research, I have 30+ tabs opened up and many are about previous versions of FreeNAS which is no help.
There are many features of FreeNAS that have changed from version to version, but there are many more that have remained consistent. Just because it is a previous version, doesn't mean that it is not applicable.
Here is a guide for configuring FreeNAS: https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro
Within that guide is a section on configuring Plex: https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:jails_plex

JasonP123456

Cadet
This may be the issue that is causing it to look harder and more confusing that it would normally be.
When I go to Plugins > Available, I get the message: Unable to load /api/v1.0/plugins/available/?parent=null status: 500

What causes this error and how can it be corrected?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.