Help needed to design encrypted media server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globespy

Cadet
I have used and loved my trusted HP Mediasmart WHS EX470 for many years (it's been heavily upgraded - dual core CPU, 8GB RAM, additional cooling etc), but it's time to retire it, or at least keep it as a backup.

I use my server mainly for streaming bluray movies that I rip in MKV format, currently only to one TV, but it would be nice to have the ability to add say one or 2 (max) more TV's streaming concurrently.
I still have a lot of personal/sensitive information on the server and I was interested in reading about the new built in encryption, but I don't know if it's as strong as say Truecrypt, nor do I understand if it will allow me to use the server as I intend. I'd ideally like to also have hardware encryption on top of the built in software encryption, if that's even feasible? If someone was to gain physical access to the server, I want it to be virtually impossible to access any data even via bruteforce (sure it will get in, but not for hundreds of years).

Right now I am using WDTV Live media players to do the work of streaming movies and music to TV's around the house, but of course they can't deal with encrypted drives.
I'm going to be buying new TV's in the near future that will have either Wi-Fi and/or USB connections for me to plug the server directly into and then play movies, but I don't know how/if the TV's could work with encrypted drives/system? I've even thought about using Xbox consoles as intermediate devices - I have a few Xbox 360's already and getting a few Xbox One systems next month on release date, which may be able to do what I need?

I can probably figure out hardware (board, CPU, RAM etc) from other threads on here, but my real questions are clearly around how I can have a fully encrypted server (software and possibly hardware - advice needed on hardware encryption) communicate with the devices that will play the media.

Appreciate any advice!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.