BUILD Need some input regarding my NAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

centx

Cadet
Hi all!

I've been looking at building my own DIY NAS for both serving files, work as a XBMC stream server and potentially use it with some virtual machines down the road.

After reading the excelent post about recommended hardware by jgreco (and general googling), I made the following list as a candidate of what I want. I imagine that my streaming requirements will be rather low for the forseeable future (1-2 TV's, using one at a time. + music streaming if I dont end up with just using spotify everywhere).

The list:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 (BX80637E31230V2)
MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F (MBD-X9SCM-F-B)
RAM: 2xKingston ValueRAM 8 GB PC3-12800 (1600MHZ, CL11) ECC (KVR16E11/8EF)
PSU: SilverStone Nightjar 500W (SST-ST50NF)
HDD's: Western Digital Red 3TB (initially only 2x)
USB-stick: SanDisk USB 3.0 Cruzer Extreme 16GB (maybe waste since MB only has USB2)
Rack: Deltaco Rack Wallmounted 9U 600x450x500mm (19-6409)
Chassis: <unsure, something that fits within the rack>

The reason for the what I imagine is relatively over-powered hardware is that I would love to run this on encrypted ZFS if thats possible, and more importantly; maybe add some web-facing services later using VM's. This means that both the AES-NI and VTd could come in handy. I might even try to run FreeNAS in a VM on top of a relatively bare host OS which only purpose is to administer the various VM's.

If I end up also adding a virtual machine to use as a build-server, the hyper-threading might come in handy too.

I also don't want to regret the build later having bought myself no head-room to anything but serving files.

Any criticisms or acknowledgments are highly welcome and appreciated!

Edit: Changed RAM to unbuffered/unregistered one, changed chassis, added Rack part & USB-stick.

gzunk

Dabbler
That's almost identical to the new specs that I've just upgraded to.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2
MB: Supermicro X9SCM-F
RAM 4x 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 ECC UDIMM
PSU: SilverStone Nightjar 500W
HDD: 6x 3TB WDC WD30EZRX (RAID-Z1)
Case: SilverStone GD01

I'm fairly certain the motherboard only supports unbuffered dimms, so I wouldn't get registered RAM. Apart from that, everything looks good, and I can say that everything works fine on FreeNAS 8.3.0.

centx

Cadet
Hi gzunk, thanks for the response!

Only reason I ended up with registered RAM is that it was the cheapest, but you are entirely right; from supermicro's site for the X9SCM-f:

4x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports up to 32 GB DDR3 ECC Un-Buffered memory (UDIMM)

And according to Wikipedia, buffered RAM can not be used in MB's which only supports buffered, so I will have to find some other sticks (altough they seem to be 15$ more)

BTW, according the same page, it also states that you need Rev2.0 of the BIOS for xeon 12xx version 2 support, how did that work for you? I really want to avoid recieving a such expensive configuration, but not being able to actually use it because the BIOS is of the wrong version!

gzunk

Dabbler
My pleasure.

I was worried as well about the BIOS issue, but it powered on and worked first time. I had already checked the SuperMicro site and I couldn't find an updated BIOS for the X9SCM-F (just updated ipmi firmware) so I don't know if that (wiki) page has outdated information. For info, the firmware is reported as 1.86.

Not sure where you're going to be sourcing the motherboard from, but I ordered it from Amazon (from Bora Computers in Germany).

centx

Cadet
I was worried as well about the BIOS issue, but it powered on and worked first time. I had already checked the SuperMicro site and I couldn't find an updated BIOS for the X9SCM-F (just updated ipmi firmware) so I don't know if that (wiki) page has outdated information. For info, the firmware is reported as 1.86.

After "hacking" the stupid (grrrrr) java-script I-want-all-links-to-use-post-because-I'm-an-asshole-web-designer link to extract the POST-values, here is the link for new BIOS at what I assume is SuperMicro's home-page:
http://www.supermicro.nl/support/re...uctID=82192&Resource=BIOS&ProductName=X9SCM-F

Not sure where you're going to be sourcing the motherboard from, but I ordered it from Amazon (from Bora Computers in Germany).
I'm going to buy from a internet-store local to my country probably (Norway), the cheapest one =)

gzunk

Dabbler
Many thanks, I'll download and save it, but unless I have a problem I'll stick with the stock BIOS. For the record, I'm in the UK and Amazon was the cheapest (reliable) seller I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.