N40L Media Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklion

Cadet
I am thinking about using my N40L MicroServer (8GB ECC RAM) to build a media server, but after reading through a few threads on the forums I'm questioning whether or not this hardware would be sufficient; specifically the CPU. Currently I only have one device that will be streaming from the server, but my plan is to add a couple more. I am concerned that the server won't be able to handle the bandwidth when 3+ devices are attempting to stream simultaneously.

I have not purchased the HDDs yet...still have a lot of reading to do regarding which ZFS RAID would be the better option, but I'm leaning towards 4x 3TB in RAIDZ2. Also considering upgrading to 16GB ECC RAM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Any issues you have with performance are likely to be limited to that 1.5Ghz CPU the N40L has. Not sure if it can do 16GB of RAM(I forget as its 1am here...)

If you really think that streaming to 3+ devices is likely I'd seriously consider something else. The stickies can help you pick out some hardware for yourself, so I won't go into details with that.

gpsguy

Yes one can put 16Gb in it, although the HP spec's say it's limited to 8. I have 16 in my N54L.

But as cyberjock said, the CPU may be a limiting factor.

Sent from my phone

blacklion

Cadet
That's what I was worried about...thanks for the input! I will see how it goes as I had additional streaming devices...if it doesn't have the power that just gives me a reason to build a new box ;)

Middling

Dabbler
It depends how you're going to be consuming the media. If it's going to be transcoding it on the server then you may have problems, but if it's just accessing the raw files then it should work fine (depending on method of access and the bitrate of the files).

I have the same server with 8GB RAM and 5x 2TB drives in RAIDZ connected via gigabit ethernet to my router. I have had 5 client computers streaming media (via SMB) simultaneously with no problems. The media is a mix of SD and 720p and 3 of the clients access the server via Wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.