4gb ram N40L: Slow but reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokni

Cadet
Ok, I've gone through most posts about freenas, n40l and ram requirements, so its pretty clear that 4gb ram will not do the job for a NAS server.

But here's our scenario:

We are a small facility (3 to 7 students/faculty), all with our laptops and responsible for personal back-ups. Occasionally though we get disorganized and we loose files between us, particularly when traveling or when students leave the lab. So we would like to install a NAS which will be mostly idle and only used in emergency situations or when in need of a file from a colleague's dataset.

We can't use the cloud because it's expensive and not permitted by our department. We also don't have budget and we have only been offered a n40l with 4gb ecc ram and 4x500gb hdd. We would be happy to use two mirrored sets as 1tb will be enough for years (in 10 years we accumulated 600gb).

For us, speed is not an issue. Most our files are relatively small, average transfer to the NAS is expected to be 1-2gb per month. We don't mind waiting for a file, as we do when downloading from the internet. Occasionally (2-3 times per year) we will need to retrieve a missing/forgotten file while being out of office. So, speed is not an issue. However, long-term reliability is absolutely important.

So, given the ECC ram and the advantages of ZFS with regards to filesystem reliability, the question is: ok, it will be slow, but will it be reliable with only 4gb ram?

Else, if ufs is the only way to go, to be honest I'd rather set-up a debian base and be done with it. But I don't want to dismiss freenass+zfs just yet.

Any opinions?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, 8GB of RAM is my threshold for a reliable server. There's been people that had problems with less than 8GB of RAM, but there are people that use 4GB and never have a problem.

So how lucky do you feel? LOL.

kokni

Cadet
LOL, I do feel lucky this weekend..

I installed a test 9.1 box with mirrored 2x(2x500gb) and configured as one zvol of 1gb. I transferred about 200gb test data - no problems identified. Speeds are ok, about 10mb/s samba transfers which is plenty for our needs.

So, any ideas on how can I stress-test this setup?

drinking12many

Contributor
I have N40L with 6GB of RAM running with 4x2TB drives in RAIDZ with a 60GB cache SSD. now this is only for my home use but can fairly regularly hit up to 80MB/s over the 1Gb ethernet so I dont see you having any problems with so few students using it etc. I am running the hacked bios so that I could change a few additional settings such as allowing for 3Gb on the fifth SATA controller which is where my SSD is hooked to. Its also my datastore for my 2 ESX boxes using NFS and they perform fairly well and they are always running.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't recommend using an l2arc until you max out the ram because using an l2arc steals ram for the index.

drinking12many

Contributor
Well I dont have extra ram laying around and it works just fine I just statically set the max arc size to 2GB to be safe. I dont know if I would use ZFS if I only had 4. I always backup my data to another external because no system is perfect. Anyone who doesnt keep multiple copies of their data probably deserves to lose it.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi kokni,

Here's another way to look at this.....

I'm assuming you are the PI and you want to use this for your lab\research or that you are actually a student doing grad school research. Either way I'm going to bet that this Microserver is going to wind up housing your life's work, or the work you are doing to graduate, so do not skimp on the hundred or so bucks it takes to do this right. If nothing else ask everyone to throw in $20, get the RAM you need to properly support zfs and configure your 4x500GB drives in a raidz2 pool.

-Will

gpsguy

For both N40L user's in the thread, you can take the box to 16Gb with this RAM.

Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G

Status
Not open for further replies.