miniDLNA and Xbox-360 media issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Hi,
recently upgrade freenas (from old 0.7.2 to 8.3.1)
Thought I'll finally had everything working ok but today I noticed that my xbox-360 cant play media files anymore.
My nas is recognized by my xbox, media files and directories is browsable, but when I try to play a media file (avi) xbox thows error #69-8007000E

Various posts have suggested a range of issues (file system damaged, non compatible media format etc.)
I have confirmed there is no issues with media files stored - reverting to freenas 0.7.2 works just fine.
miniMDLN plugin is up and running where the file count seem to suggest all files have been scanned and made available for streaming.

Have anyone come across similar issues ?

Also read some old posts where a couple seemed to suggest that streaming media to xbox-360 is unsupported under freenas 8.n.n - is this correct ??? I thought the miniDLNA should enable this :confused:

Really keen to resolve this where I am hoping for someone to confirm if streaming media to xbox-360 should work or not
and if so, what I possible could try to get around the error code my xbox now throws on the media stored on my nas.

cheers

joeschmuck

Old Man
EDIT: So you are you able to see the media files on your XBox. In the old version of FreeNAS what DLNA service were you using?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
I can see both files and directories on the xbox - but when I try to play any of them I get the error code

On the old nas (0.7.2) I used UPnP (built in with the earlier version) - never had any issues with media on that version.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So that error code says your X-Box does not recognize the format of the video but you say it's an AVI and it plays fine on the old version. I don't believe UPnP did transcoding and MiniDLNA doesn't support transcoding of course.

So my thoughts are have you tried the "Strict DLNA" option ?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Problem solved :p

Nothing to do with my nas setup - turned out to be a bad xbox-360 update I decided to do earlier today - it failed and probable put the xbox media codec's out of whack on the box.

All good now - media plays :o

But while I have you attention you might be able to point me in a direction where I could get my mp3 files to show up on my xbox - Firefly mp3 media is not seen by my xbox

joeschmuck

Old Man
Use MiniDLNA to share your mp3 music. It becomes tricky now because you can only share a single mount point to a single destination within a jail.

I guessing you are sharing your movies mount point to /media so you cannot use the same destination.

You could create another mount point destination, create a new directory in the jail called /music and mount your music there and then add in the Auxiliary parameters section:
Code:
media_dir=A,/music

Reboot and that should do it.

Let me know how it works out.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Use MiniDLNA to share your mp3 music. It becomes tricky now because you can only share a single mount point to a single destination within a jail.

I guessing you are sharing your movies mount point to /media so you cannot use the same destination.

You could create another mount point destination, create a new directory in the jail called /music and mount your music there and then add in the Auxiliary parameters section:
Code:
media_dir=A,/music

Reboot and that should do it.

Let me know how it works out.

That worked out just fine - thanks !

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hehe. About 95% of the time the 2 reasons it doesn't work is a configuration issue or people don't realize that minidlna doesn't convert media files to formats that are guaranteed to be compatible with the viewing device.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hehe. About 95% of the time the 2 reasons it doesn't work is a configuration issue or people don't realize that minidlna doesn't convert media files to formats that are guaranteed to be compatible with the viewing device.
Ding Ding Ding, give that man a prize!
That is so true.

Status
Not open for further replies.