Trying to setup FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepak

Cadet
Hello,

I have installed FreeNAS on a USB drive and have connected it to a computer with 2 1TB hard-drives. This computer is connected to my Medialink Wireless-N broadband router. The ip address given to me for the FreeNAS is 192.168.2.105.

I have my main computer connected to the router too. However I am not able to access the FreeNAS web gui. I tried to ping 192.168.2.105 and it comes up as 'unreachable'. I am new to networking and NAS. Should i get different hardware to connect my FreeNAS machine to ? Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Connect both computers to the router via cat6 and try again. Also list the following:
1) full hardware specs of freenas
2) version of freenas

Deepak

Cadet
I just got back with the cat6 cables and i can access the web gui now.
Thank you.
Hardware specs of freenas are as follows:
amd fx 6350 processor
asrock 970 extreme 3 mobo
msi 512 mb graphics card
8 gb ddr3 ram - crucial sport
4 gb usb drive for the os

Why was there a difference between the cat5 and the cat6 ?

sremick

Patron
Could've been a junk cable. There are lots of crap cables out there. I just received a brand new one that was labeled Cat5e and 4-pair but was really 2 pair, therefore not Cat5e and unable to do gigabit.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Could've been a junk cable. There are lots of crap cables out there. I just received a brand new one that was labeled Cat5e and 4-pair but was really 2 pair, therefore not Cat5e and unable to do gigabit.

That's something I haven't seen a while. It takes some audacity to just sell a cable with half as many conductors as the spec mandates.
Curiously, Microsoft decided that 4 pairs was a luxury for the 10/100Mb/s-only Xbox 360 and included an ethernet cable with just two pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.