Wireless Connects, Wired Won't

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibble

Cadet
I have no idea how this is even possible. I have an ECS NM70-TI (motherboard/CPU combo) with 8GB RAM and a 1.5TB drive connected to it. It's connected via ethernet cable to a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router, which is in turn connected to an AT&T U-Verse router. I have wireless turned off for the U-Verse router and turned on for the Buffalo router.

I can do literally everything with this setup if I connect with a device wirelessly. Mounting shares via Windows and OSX, logging into the web interface, ping, etc. But the second I plug an ethernet cord into my laptop or desktop I can no longer even see the NAS. "Destination host unreachable" per the ping statement.

This issue resolves itself when I move the ethernet cable over to the U-Verse router.

So basically:

Server

NAS --- ethernet cable --> Buffalo --- ethernet cable --> U-Verse Router

Client

Works: Laptop/Desktop --- wireless --> Buffalo
Doesn't Work: Laptop/Desktop --- ethernet cable --> Buffalo

Server

NAS --- ethernet cable --> U-Verse Router

Client

Works: Laptop/Desktop --- wireless --> Buffalo
Works: Laptop/Desktop --- ethernet cable --> Buffalo

I have tested this with FreeNAS, NAS4Free, and Limetech unRAID with the exact same result. This has to be some weird router configuration thing I can't place.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior would be greatly welcome.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like a network configuration problem. Not sure what the exact cause is. You'd have to start digging into your network config for your entire network and attached devices to find the cause. I know, not particularly useful, but I figured I'd at least respond so you knew *someone* read it. It is likely in your router as you have surmised. But I'm not sure exactly what is wrong as I could probably create problem similar to yours with no effort on my pfsense box. Without your exact hardware and all of the settings I can't really tell you what is wrong.

But, I will say this:

I'd never connect any machine... be it server, desktop, laptop, etc directly to the AT&T U-verse device. For troubleshooting is okay, just never as a long term solution.

joelmusicman

Patron
Plug the Buffalo -> Uverese link into a LAN port on the Buffalo, not the WAN. I'd bet money its a firewall issue.

Also make sure the routers have different IP addresses and only one has DHCP enabled. I have two routers in my network and they happily coexist. I also like to use different ranges for different equipment...

Status
Not open for further replies.