Trunas Scale backup data with ACL

tomeks11

Cadet
I decided to ask this question again in this section in the hope that someone will help me solve the problem.

So far, I have been backing up SMB resources using Bacula on Truenas Core. Client Bacula is installed in the jail with which the Datasets are shared. This has worked well for many years.
Now we are in the process of implementing Dell Networker, which is intended to replace Bacula. Unfortunately, Networker does not have a client for FreeBSD. To solve this problem, I decided to upgrade to Truenas Scale and place the Networker client in a container (Apps).
Unfortunately, there is a problem because ACLs written by SMB ACL are not visible inside the container.

What is a way to make Truenas scale copies using programs that require a client program?

The only idea I have is to run a virtual machine with Windows on Truenas Scale. Map all SMB shares and install the Networker client on Windows. Tests have shown that this configuration is very slow.

PhilD13

Patron
I was just starting to think about Bacula (which I have never used) as a backup option to try on scale and I ran across your post. Under Applications > settings> advanced settings> Have you tried unchecking "Enable Host Path Safety Checks"? I understand that will let apps see/share the SMB shares. Just a thought.

sfatula

Guru
So, am I correct that you want to use Bacula to backup Scale from the Scale machine?

If so, why are you using SMB for Bacula? Just point it to the directory you want to backup, maybe your main pools mountpath?

I backup my machine (well one of my many backups) using Kopia, works great. SHould work the same for Bacula.

tomeks11

Cadet
I used Bacula on Trunas Core. Bacula client was installed in Jail. Everything worked great. Files and ACL permissions copied fine.

I changed to Trunas Scale and placed the Baculi client in a container (APPS). The container sees the files but does not see additional ACL permissions. Therefore, bacula cannot make a copy with permissions.

I migrated to Trunas Scale because I am ultimately changing Bacula to Dell Networker, Networker cannot be installed in Freebsd.

sfatula

Guru
Best backup bet is replication. Sorry but I misuderstood what you posted in the OP.

However, if you still want to use Dell Networker (not familiar with it), and you are saying it doesn't see SMB acls from the container (have never used them on Scale so unsure), there is a box for privileged mode for the container you will configure for Dell Networker. Assuming there isn't an app for it. I would expect that box to allow access. That mostly allows the container to be Scale root so beware.