ACL on top of Unix permission?

tsm37

Dabbler
Can someone please confirm my observation? Btw, I'm doing all these in a test environment. I created a dataset and set it as generic with default Unix permission. I attempted to create a SMB share and truenas scale asked me to set ACL and brought up the ACL setting screen. I then selected one of those pre-configured ACLs and the permission list became very messy. When I tried to save the ACL, truenas scale threw me some errors. Is my observation correct that I was setting ACL on top of Unix permission? I spoke with some people on discord, and they told me generic dataset/unix permission don't mix well with ACL. Is that right? Their advice is if I'm using windows to access network files on the nas, then set the dataset as SMB and proceed with creating a SMB share, which is more cleaner.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I spoke with some people on discord, and they told me generic dataset/unix permission don't mix well with ACL. Is that right?
No. That's wrong. They probably aren't familiar with ACL implementation in Linux. "Messy" ACL is somewhat expected if you're using POSIX1E ACLs since there are actually two lists (default and access) being represented in the form and both are relevant to how permissions are interpreted. The rules for what makes a valid POSIX1E ACL are also somewhat more complex than the NFSv4 style used for SMB preset.

Their advice is if I'm using windows to access network files on the nas, then set the dataset as SMB and proceed with creating a SMB share, which is more cleaner.
That part is correct. We have an SMB preset specifically to provide what we consider the best possible SMB configuration.