FreeNAS 11.2-U5 and Bacula : Backup data on ZFS pool

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

Backup of FreeNAS data: All of us Bacula admins need bacula-fd installed in the base FreeNAS OS so we do not waste another IP address, have a second VMware port group with promiscuous mode enabled and have to muck with a jail/plugin to just backup the bloody NAS. This today should have taken 30 seconds(pkg install bacula9-client-9.4.3)!

If you use some other backup software you will need the option to install that in the base FreeNAS OS, in this example I am using Bacula9

Thanks,
Joe

=========================================================================================
FYI this is what I went thru today!

First of all the plugin appears to install ALL of Bacula(2.2GB), the dir, fd, sd and postgres database. I think all I need is to install a jail and bacula-fd and I think in the past that was all the Bacula plugin was.

I do not have DHCP on the VLAN I am trying to use so I got these errors:

DHCP addressed error:
[EFAULT] Exception: RuntimeError: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped bacula-server due to DHCP failure occured, destroyed bacula-server.

Static address error:
[EFAULT] Exception: RuntimeError: Stopped bacula-server due to VNET failure occured, destroyed bacula-server.

I had to do the following to get the Bacula plugin working:

A) goof around with jails to get a bridge0 interface in the stack
B) change a bunch of the default plugin/jail options to use a Bridge network interface, install the plugin
C) stop the plugin
D) edit the Bacula-Server jail to use VNET, Berkley Packet Filter and DFGW

Step B:
0 DHCP ( disabled )
0 VNET ( disabled )
0 Berkeley Packet Filter ( disabled )
Bridge0
static IP
/23
X auto start
X allow_raw_sockets
0 ip4_saddrsel
0 ip6_saddrsel
SAVE

Step D:
X VNET
X Berkeley Packet Filter
vnet0
DFGW add

========================================================================================
The jail is much more simple, just add a jail:
0 DHCP ( disabled )
X VNET
X Berkeley Packet Filter
vnet0
static IP
/23
DFGW
0 auto start
X allow_raw_sockets
0 ip4_saddrsel
0 ip6_saddrsel
SAVE

start jail and mkdir /mnt/data
stop jail
add storage /mnt/vol/dataset/shared/share to /mnt/data
start jail

iocage console bacula
pkg update
pkg install bacula9-client-9.4.3
cd /usr/local/etc/bacula/
vi bacula-fd.conf
echo bacula_fd_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf
service bacula-fd start
service bacula-fd status

RegularJoe

Patron
If anyone cares I tried to reproduce Bacula plugin at home on my HP N54L NAS running FreeNAS 11.2-U7 and failed. Is there a way to get the plug for Bacula from Sept/1/2019? I assume the plugin changes from time to time. I have re-installed 11.2-U5 and at the end I get errors about missing files. Once I get home I will paste the errors here to see if anyone has some suggestions.

RegularJoe

Patron
Well, I did another install on VMware 7.0, I had to enable all the security features on the vSwitch0 including promiscous mode to get DHCP to work, the plugin installed. Then I had get into the iocage jail "iocage console bacula-sever" and do a pkg install bacula9-server-9.4.3_1 and then also re-run the ./post_install.sh so the db gets setup and the services started. Now "service -l" shows all 3 bacula daemons up and running! All done in less than 5 minutes. Next to upgrade to 12.0-U2 and see how to upgrade the jail/base OS so I can do a "pkg update"

Thanks,
Joe