TrueNAS Time Drift

objecttothis

Explorer
I'm running 12.0-U4 on two different servers. One of them is experiencing an issue where the time drifts.
The first time I tried to check ntpd status it wasn't running. I started the service then ran through my checks.

1626163903722.png

The time returned by the date command is several hours behind the BMC time

1626164180245.png

The BMC is reporting a voltage of 3.28 volts on the CMOS Battery, so I don't think that is the issue:

1626164242668.png

The NTP Server settings are all at their defaults. If I edit one of the entries and click save, I can go back into shell and see that it fixes the time, however it's drifting behind at a rate of 9 seconds per minute! I would think that if this were the CMOS Battery, that the BMC would also be reporting an incorrect time.

objecttothis

Explorer
OK, I think I may have resolved this. I feel a little silly, but I decided that I shouldn't trust the BMC reported time to be the BIOS set time, so I KVM'd into the BIOS and sure enough the BIOS was several hours behind. I corrected the time in the BIOS and so far the drift hasn't returned. If it comes back, I will check the BIOS again and likely change the CMOS battery.