SOLVED Time keeps resetting to incorrect time

keboose

Explorer
I'm running 11.3-RELEASE-p5 currently. I recently (since I last shut the server town to install a new UPS last week) noticed that the time is incorrect, but not because of an incorrect time zone. My time zone has not changed from "New York" (UTC -4), and I confirmed that is correct in the UI settings, and the normal freebsd NTP pool addresses are set as the NTP servers. But, when I check the date:
Code:
> date
Wed Apr 15 08:35:55 EDT 2020
when my desktop displayed 10:34 AM. My desktop is Windows 10 with sync settings set correctly, so the time is going to be accurate to within a fraction of a second, so the fact that the server's time is off by 2 hours plus a bit extra is suspicious.

I found another post on the forum that gave me some steps to band-aid this:
Code:
> service ntpd stop
> ntpdate 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org
> service ntpd start
This got my time back on track when I ran it a few days ago, but this morning I couldn't log into my Nextcloud instance using 2FA, because the time was reset to two hours (plus a bit) behind again! I ran the commands again, and fixed the time so I could log into nextcloud, but now I know this isn't a one-time thing; something is changing the time on my server, and I don't know what.

Where can I start looking for what is changing the time on my server?

EDIT: I may be dumb and just have a low CMOS battery. I can observe the time drift slowly over the course of half an hour. I'll update when I get a new battery.

Last edited:

keboose

Explorer
Yep, apologies for cluttering up the forum with this post; The time hasn't budged an inch since replacing the CMOS battery on my motherboard, this had nothing to do with FreeNAS.