TrueNAS Network Not Up After Adding Additional Network Card

eggzactilly

Cadet
Hi Everyone, I have a strange issue I've been able to isolate but can't think of the "best" way to fix it.

Build:
TrueNAS-13.0-U2
Ryzen 5600
8GB Ram (Awaiting upgrade to 64GB in mail)
Gigabyte B550 Pro-P (2.5gb Realtek LAN Built in) (BIOS Updated)
Dell H310 HBA (IT Mode)
8x Seagate 14TB EXOS Drives
Samsung EVO 840 250gb Boot SSD
Add in NIC: Cudy 2.5gb RTL8125B

Prior to the add in NIC card, was able to setup/ create pool/ users/ access from static IP just fine. Once the card was added the UI was no longer accessible on static IP, and I am able to see the LINK UP light on both the motherboard and my router, but no activity.

Logical troubleshooting next step was to pull the card and boot, worked fine and UI was accessible on the predefined static IP.
I tried this cycle again just to see if it was a strange one time boot issue, but no success. Next step was investigating the boot logs.

Here's what I saw in messages log:
no interface given, using all interfaces
error while sending packet on re0: [errno 50] Network is DOWN

re0 is the main nic on the motherboard, it loops 5 times and eventually boots but obviously unavailable on the network.

It never locates the new nic in the loop (which I found interesting). The use case of the 2nd NIC is to connect directly to another computer over 2.5gb for large data uploads since I didn't want to upgrade my whole network to 2.5gb just yet.

My thought is maybe I need to bind specifically to re0 on boot so then I can configure the new nic once I'm in the UI. The problem with that theory is I can't get the network up at ALL with the card installed. I know I could configure in local gui but I'm out of PCI slots to plug in my video card.

Any questions, thoughts, ideas much appreciated!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The crappy Realtek 2.5G driver was disabled in the last update due to a data corruption issued, as noted in the changelog. I believe there's a link to the Jira ticket there.

eggzactilly

Cadet
Thanks @jgreco! I found that when I built the system initially and I couldn't get the UI up at all. That change has already been made, this specific issue is when I add the additional network card.

eggzactilly

Cadet
I figured it out going through some old forum posts. It remapped interface names once I plugged in the additional NIC. Swapped the ethernet cables and I was good...DOH. Thanks everyone. OK to close thread.