TrueNAS Mini XL+ can't use network

Jearil

Cadet
Bought a brand new Mini XL+ from Amazon and it came in yesterday. After plugging it in, the truenas.local domain didn't work. Ended up connecting to it via IPMI (which did work via DHCP) and brought up the ikvm there. IPMI and ix0 are both plugged into the same switch on my local network. ix0 cannot connect via DHCP and does not get an IP address assigned.

console.jpg

Tech support is totally useless.

I ended up connecting ix0 directly to my desktop and giving it a static 10.0.0.5 IP address via ifconfig in the shell (the console setup doesn't work) and setting the IP address on my desktop to a static 10.0.0.4 and was able to bring up the web interface. In there, I plugged ix1 into the same switch as IPMI (my home network) and attempted to turn it on with DHCP. It ends up resetting both network adapters and I can no longer connect via the web interface unless I manually set ix0 back to a static IP. It can't get an IP via DHCP at all.

So I attempted to set a static IP address on my local network. My local network is 192.168.86.1/24. I set it to an unused address, set my gateway to 192.168.86.1, set up a network mask of 255.255.255.1, and tried to connect to the web interface.. does not connect. Can't ping it either. Looking in the

When it's set to DHCP, I constantly get this on the console:

networklink.jpg

ifconfig shows I don't have an IP address when I attempt to give it one via the web interface. Or if it does, due to the forced "test" nature, it auto reverts:
ifconfig.jpg

Originally I was working with what was shipped in box, TrueNAS Core. I then decided to try to install TrueNAS Scale, and the exact same problems happened. This thing only works with a custom IP address directly connected to another machine. That's... not a useful NAS.

This is a brand new out of the box experience. It's like the hardware wasn't designed for the OS, either Core or Scale. Support said that since I can connect via a static IP directly plugged into my desktop that it's not a hardware problem so they can't help. I'm at the point of just returning it for a refund and getting a Synology, though maybe I do have a defective box even though support says I don't and I should just return for a replacement? Has anyone else had these horrid network experiences on the Mini XL+?

Some more info on my network in case it matters. This Mini XL+ box has 2 10GB NICS but my network is running 2.5GB switches (I don't think this should matter?). I also have the old Google WiFi routers and a standard cable modem. This is a home setup, not some enterprise thing. My desktop is plugged into the same switch as the XL+ so the routers shouldn't even matter (except maybe in the DHCP not working bit.. though DHCP works perfectly fine for IPMI).

Jearil

Cadet
Looks like it might be my 2.5G switch. When I use ethtool on the network interface it says Unknown for both speed and duplex. If I add in a 1GB switch between the system and the 2.5G switch it seems to work. Really weird. Going to buy a 10G switch (damn they are expensive) and see if it works as I'd rather not be on 1GB for this device.

Somewhat disappointing that the NICs are either 1GB or 10GB and don't have the ability to run at 2.5GB.

spuky

Explorer
Somewhat disappointing that the NICs are either 1GB or 10GB and don't have the ability to run at 2.5GB.
this is because 1 and 10 are here for many years... 2.5 and 5 are pretty new and autonegotiation sometimes does not work... to a point where Intel freebsd developers disable it by default because of trouble with switches

see for example

it seems not to be disabled on your system else your switch would be fine with a 1G client...

I don't even know what nics are in the MIN XL+

maybe there are firmware updates for your switch (don't know if it might have a webinterface..)

c77dk

Patron
You can buy a 4*10Gbps +1*1Gbps Microtik switch quite cheap - when booted in switchos they're quite stable (don't try the router os)