TrueNas Mini X+ Fan Control

saNeurT

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
I own a TrueNas Mini X+ with TrueNas Core 12.

The NAS is way too loud and I would like to slow down the fan to make it more quiet or (even better) reduce the fan speed during a specific time in the day (eg. between 8pm - 8am).
Is it possible? Does the motherboard support tools like ipmitool?
If yes, how can I slow down the fan and/or set up a script to slow down the fan during night periods?

Thanks in advance,
saNeurT

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

saNeurT

Dabbler
This (https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-mini-x-and-mini-x-plus/) seems to indicate that there's an IPMI onboard...

try ipmitool sensor to see if that's true.

If it is, then you'll need to investigate the right commands for that IPMI to set fan speeds (if it's possible).

If you find the right commands, there are multiple fan scripts in the forums that can ba used/adapted (@Glorious1 , @Stux , @Kevin Horton are the main authors).
Yes, I am able to run ipcmitool in TrueNas.

FAN1 and FAN2 are n/a

FAN3 is:
3700.000 | RPM | ok | 300.000 | 500.000 | 700.000 | 25300.000 | 25400.000 | 25500.000

FANA is:
800.000 | RPM | ok | 200.000 | 300.000 | 500.000 | 25300.000 | 25400.000 | 25500.000

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Looks like a good start...

From @Kevin Horton 's script (https://github.com/khorton/nas_fan_control/blob/master/PID_fan_control.pl, discussed here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/pid-fan-controller-perl-script.50908/)

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 $zone $duty (where $zone is a number representing the FANA or FAN3 header... in the script I think FANA is in zone 1 and should be connected to your case fan(s) and FAN3, together with FAN1&2 are in zone 0. $duty represents a number... in percent that you want the fan to spin where 100 is at full speed)

Here is the helpful comments from the top of that script in case they help

Code:
# The IPMI fan lower and upper fan speed thresholds must be adjusted to be compatible with the fans used.  Do not rely
# completely on manufacturer specs to determine the slowest and fastest possible fan speeds, as some fans have been found
# to run at speeds that differ somewhat from the official specs.  See:
# https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/how-to-change-ipmi-sensor-thresholds-using-ipmitool.35/

# The following ipmitool commands can be run when connected to the FreeNAS server via ssh.  They are useful to set a desired fan duty cycle before
# checking the fan speeds.

# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to 100%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 100 
# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to  50%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 50
# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to  20%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 20

# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to 100%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 100
# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to  50%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 50
# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to  20%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 20

# Check duty cycle in Zone 0:                   ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x00 0x00
# result is hex, with 64 being 100% duty cycle.  32 is 50% duty cycle.  14 is 20% duty cycle.

#  Check duty cycle in Zone 1:                  ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x00 0x01
# result is hex, with 64 being 100% duty cycle.  32 is 50% duty cycle.  14 is 20% duty cycle.

# Check fan speeds using: ipmitool sdr

Be careful when setting the fan too slow as you may overheat your components/disks. (using a script like the one linked which reacts to the temperature but can be set to be as low as possible to maintain the temperatures in a safe range is highly recommended)

saNeurT

Dabbler
Looks like a good start...

From @Kevin Horton 's script (https://github.com/khorton/nas_fan_control/blob/master/PID_fan_control.pl, discussed here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/pid-fan-controller-perl-script.50908/)

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 $zone $duty (where $zone is a number representing the FANA or FAN3 header... in the script I think FANA is in zone 1 and should be connected to your case fan(s) and FAN3, together with FAN1&2 are in zone 0. $duty represents a number... in percent that you want the fan to spin where 100 is at full speed)

Here is the helpful comments from the top of that script in case they help

Code:
# The IPMI fan lower and upper fan speed thresholds must be adjusted to be compatible with the fans used.  Do not rely
# completely on manufacturer specs to determine the slowest and fastest possible fan speeds, as some fans have been found
# to run at speeds that differ somewhat from the official specs.  See:
# https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/how-to-change-ipmi-sensor-thresholds-using-ipmitool.35/

# The following ipmitool commands can be run when connected to the FreeNAS server via ssh.  They are useful to set a desired fan duty cycle before
# checking the fan speeds.

# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to 100%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 100
# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to  50%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 50
# Set duty cycle in Zone 0 to  20%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 20

# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to 100%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 100
# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to  50%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 50
# Set duty cycle in Zone 1 to  20%: ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 20

# Check duty cycle in Zone 0:                   ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x00 0x00

#  Check duty cycle in Zone 1:                  ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x00 0x01

# Check fan speeds using: ipmitool sdr

Be careful when setting the fan too slow as you may overheat your components/disks. (using a script like the one linked which reacts to the temperature but can be set to be as low as possible to maintain the temperatures in a safe range is highly recommended)
Do you think is it safe to use and run the script during boot, as it is published in GitHub?

Should I edit or the default settings are ok?

sretalla