PWM Fan control

Vertigo 7

Explorer
I have a supermicro x10 board, which i do like this board, but I despise the fan management.

I've dinked with the IPMItool and it doesn't do jack. I can reduce the fan speed for about half a second and then they're ramped back up again. I'm guessing supermicro has just decided that the fans need to be 100% and that's that.

Anyway... I'm wanting to use a USB PWM device and I'm looking for a recommendation for something I can use with TrueNAS and be able to set fan speeds based on temps so that my fans aren't running full tilt 24/7. Anyone have success with any particular device and accompanying software or script or something to manage it with TrueNAS?

If it matters, I'm on 12.0 U3.1

MikeyG

Patron
Have you tried setting fan mode to full speed in IPMI? If I remember correctly, the other settings automatically override manual settings. I have mine on full speed and manage with scripts, although they are x11 boards.

Vertigo 7

Explorer
Have you tried setting fan mode to full speed in IPMI? If I remember correctly, the other settings automatically override manual settings. I have mine on full speed and manage with scripts, although they are x11 boards.

Yeah, I've tried. issuing raw commands to change the duty cycle, as I said, I can get the fans to momentarily spin down but within less than a second they're back up to full speed. I've set speed thresholds, I've done everything from any scrap of info I can find about the IPMI and PWM on the interwebs and nothing seems to make a difference.

Vertigo 7

Explorer
you know what... I may have actually just figured something out I haven't tried with the IPMI... 2 things, actually.

1, I had some fans I moved around on different headers trying to figure this mess out. As a result, they were perpetually listed as non-recoverable 0 RPM in the IPMI. I reset the IPMI to factory default, made those go away but that also reset the thresholds I had played with.

2, I went back and setup my thresholds again. I noticed that after I made a change to a couple of them, the thinger would stop spinning down and up the fans and just run them at max... that is, until i reboot (reset) the IPMI and proceeded with the changes. So a few IPMI reboots later, all of the fans are in the green at 3-400 RPM while the system is idle.