Truenas core: Starlink internet problems

jhpeac

Cadet
I have mounted a Truenas core server on a Gigabyte GA-Q87TN Mini ITX Motherboard, everything was working fine with an att internet network, until I moved the server to a starlink network, when connecting the computers they do not find the server, I return with the att network and everything works perfectly again. What's going on? I appreciate if you can help me, thank you

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello! Have you checked the console output (connect a monitor) to your TrueNAS machine, to see if it is reporting a different IP address?

From my understanding, the DHCP server in Starlink hubs issue addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24 range - if you've set a different static one on your AT&T network, you may need to reconfigure the network settings on the TrueNAS machine.

If you can give us a bit more information about the network design you have, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

jhpeac

Cadet
Hello! Have you checked the console output (connect a monitor) to your TrueNAS machine, to see if it is reporting a different IP address?

From my understanding, the DHCP server in Starlink hubs issue addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24 range - if you've set a different static one on your AT&T network, you may need to reconfigure the network settings on the TrueNAS machine.

If you can give us a bit more information about the network design you have, that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Never set an ip address, sorry I'm not an expert, but if you can give me an idea what to do I would appreciate it.

artlessknave

Wizard
hopefully I am wrong but...it sounds almost like you are putting the server with direct internet access? please tell me I am wrong.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Never set an ip address, sorry I'm not an expert, but if you can give me an idea what to do I would appreciate it.

Are you attempting to access the TrueNAS server by its name, or by an IP address? I haven't used Starlink personally, but it may be a matter of your clients (Windows? Mac? Linux?) not knowing how to find that name.

During your migration between AT&T and StarLink, are you rebooting both the TrueNAS server and the client systems attempting to access it?

If you're able to connect a monitor to the system, you can try to ping the system from the command-line of a client, and it should respond.

jhpeac

Cadet
Are you attempting to access the TrueNAS server by its name, or by an IP address? I haven't used Starlink personally, but it may be a matter of your clients (Windows? Mac? Linux?) not knowing how to find that name.

During your migration between AT&T and StarLink, are you rebooting both the TrueNAS server and the client systems attempting to access it?

If you're able to connect a monitor to the system, you can try to ping the system from the command-line of a client, and it should respond.
I'm trying to enter by name

artlessknave

Wizard
You are not wrong.

you are trying to access a server that you put behind a firewall without setting up the firewall to have access? because you cannot access a fire-walled device like you accessed it while it was on your LAN.
aditionally, you need to secure the connection. just making it accessable to the world is a path to pain and much sadness.

HarambeLives

Contributor
I don't think OP is accessing it from outside, just worded strangely

$100 says its a DHCP issue, or he somehow did get a static IP set on the older subnet, and the new one is not in the same range