TrueNAS Core on Dell T620: 12 GB/s upgrade?

JGS000

Dabbler
Hi, All;
Just replaced our VM Host and I now have a Dell T620 unused. I would like to repurpose this into a TrueNAS Core system and have questions:
Dell T620 -12 @ 3.5" bay option, PERC H710P RAID.
1- can i upgrade this T620 to 12 GB/s Drives?(already purchased them)
2- I can replace the H710P if I need to - I have followed the guide to crossflash to IT Mode already
3 - do I need to do anything to the backplane to get 12 GB/s transfers?
4 - if i boot from 6 GB/s SSD boot pool in the drive bays will that kick my 12 GB/s 3.5" drives down to 6 GB/s?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

firesyde424

Contributor
The backplane will be 6Gb/sec and not upgradeable. Theoretically, the backplane from a T430 might work as a replacement, but then you'd also need the 12Gbs internal cables and a TrueNAS compatible 12Gbs HBA such as an HBA330 and it's probably not worth the hassle or the possibility of weird compatibility problems. Your 12Gbs drives should work just fine in a T420, just at 6Gbs.

If you absolutely must have 12Gbs, you are probably better off buying a used 12 or 24 bay JBOD and pairing it with the Dell 12GB SAS dual port external HBA.

JGS000

Dabbler
Moar Stoopid Questions:
Is the crossflash (https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html) tutorial still applicable using current flavor of TrueNAS Core?
- I assume with boot pool in the drive bays i need to do this:
" If you want to UEFI boot from drives connected to this adapter, you need to flash the UEFI boot image (the card can have both UEFI and BIOS boot images flashed):
flashboot /root/Bootloaders/x64sas2.rom"
Tried this with my T620 H710P and got install error codes (did not notate error, sorry)

What BIOS settings for eufi boot TrueNAS core given the above scenario, Specifically, boot pool on the backplane 2 SSD's mirrored
->Integrated Devices > SR-IOV Global Enable
->Integrated Devices > I/OAT DMA Engine

I reverted the H710P - appears successful, going to try this again today.

Last edited: