Dell R710 Replacement?

MHN

Dabbler
HI all -- I have a Dell R710 that has been running FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core for a little over five years (2 x 5675 Xeons, 8 GB x 8 ECC RAM, SSD boot drive, 6 x 4 TB 3.5" drives). Primarily used as a backup destination, Plex Server, file repository, etc., so low CPU utilization (I recognize this set up is somewhat overkill).*

Recently I lost VGA output (both front and rear ports). The server is still running - I can access it via the iDRAC6, zoom in to read the micro-sized console window (refreshing several times to watch TrueNAS boot), and I can still bring up TrueNAS via Safari on my 2021 MBP and access all my files.

So, the machine continues to function without the video output. However, the video failure has made me start to wonder whether it is time to start looking for a replacement server, preferrably something that would allow me to directly transfer over my six 3.5" 4TB disks and 64 GB of ECC memory.

What would you do? Am I on borrowed time with the R710, or should I expect it to quietly chug on for years?

If I should move on, it's five years from when I purchased an already older server: Would it be worthwhile buying newer hardware that would be compatible with my reusable pieces, or should have servers advanced enough that I should start anew?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

* While I've been assembling desktop PCs since the late '90s, and learned programming on punchcards in the late '70s, I'm not in IT. The R710 was great for someone (me) who wanted to experiment with FreeNAS and server hardware.

NugentS

MVP
I don't have a screen on mine at all. I just use the iLO (DRAC in your case) - so the loss of video wouldn't bother me. I personally would keep using it

danb35

Hall of Famer
Loss of video as such isn't really a problem, but the concern is, I think, that it may portend further hardware failure in the near future. I can't really assess the likelihood of that, though it's an understandable concern. An obvious (to me, anyway) upgrade would be to a newer Dell R7 model like this R730:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you get a newer model R730xd etc. make sure you do NOT get a RAID controller but rather an HBA. Dell really pushes customers to purchase the RAID controllers so most used units come with them.