Truenas 12.0 Release. Drives UNAVAIL after transfer from Supermicro Xeon L5640 to Ryzen 3600

michael1947

Cadet
Hardware: Motherboard-Asrock Steel Legend B550M, CPU-Ryzen3600, Memory 2xKingston 16GB ECC, Hard drives-8xSeagate Ironwolf 4TB Z2 config. (test drives 4xSeagate RE4 2TB)
Boot drive: Sandisk Plus 240GB, HD controller LSI 9211 IT mode, NICs Mellanox connectx3.

Hello, any help on following gratefully received.
I am attempting to move my FreeNAS 11.3 Supermicro Xeon L5640 8 drive rack system (working well for years) to Supermicro tower TrueNAS 12.0 Release, Ryzen 3600, to reduce power bills.
Progress so far:
1. I upgraded SM sytem to TrueNAS 12.0 Only problem seemed to be loss of dashboard.
2. Fresh install of TrueNAS to Ryzen SSD.
3. I installed a 4 drive test system (Bays 1-4) into Ryzen server. All drives active, all appeared to be working correctly including dashboard.
4. Having tested system, create new fresh install for drives from old system.
5. Save config on SM rack system.
6. Transfer drives from rack to Ryzen.
7. Import pool to Ryzen.
8. Pool shows degraded, drive bays 2 & 4 UNAVAIL, unable to offline or replace.
9. Installed config file and lost dashboard.
10. Both systems using LSI 8 way card in IT mode. Swapped cards/cables, no change.
11.Swapped 1 affected drive for new replacement, no change.
12. Shut down, removed all drives, reinstalled Fresh TrueNAs, created new test pool test drives, using bays 2,3,4. No other changes.
13. All working normally. Out of ideas!
I've tried several Google searches with no luck.
I am considering starting fresh, copying from backups, but I would lose some archived ISCSI stuff so would prefer not to.

Any help appreciated. Thankyou.

Michael1947

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you have not updated your pools to the new ZFS then I'd recommend you go back to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 and see if that makes a difference. There are still too many little issues with TrueNAS 12.0. See if you can get things working. Also, do not swap out any hard drives for new drives, you are just looking to create more problems for yourself.

If that fails to solve the drives being seen, did you say that your old hardware still worked? You might move your drives back there and make sure all is working without issue, do a scrub to ensure your data is still good.

Let us know how this goes. I have other things to try but first lets get past this point first and if your new system cannot handle 8 drives on FreeNAS 11.3-U5 then it could be some hardware there, if it works fine then it's TrueNAS.

Good Luck! and I'd hate to see you have to rebuild your pool for a hardware upgrade like this. It just sounds wrong.

michael1947

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I really do want to proceed with the Ryzen hardware. I did a test install of FreeNAS 11.3-U5 and all seemed to go smoothly.
The problem with the disks had me baffled. 4/4 (bay 1234) disks working with test install, but only 3/5 (bay 1,3,5) in the 5 bay Icybox in the 8 disk pool.
I replaced the Icybox with a 5 bay noname device from my desktop PC. Bingo, resilver complete, working normally!

Only problem I can see now is the dashboard has disappeared since I loaded my config file!