Transmission Configuration trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
I'm having some trouble configuring transmission to work like I want.

Transmission is working now, I can import magnets / torrents from the CLI and they download to my jail directory in the /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads folder.

Currently, I can't get the following things to work:

1. Mount points.
2. Run web interface on port 80
3. DL owner is set to 40001.

I've setup mount points per the wiki, and they are successfully created, but if I go to the directory outside of the jail, the files are not there.

I'd like to run the web interface on port 80 so I can configure a DNS name to access the web interface from without having to enter a port number behind it.

I've read about the umask setting in the settings.json file, but I'm not sure where this file is located in the jail. I found one settings.json file and tried to edit the rpc-port, but it didn't have any effect.

I've tried these settings through the freenas gui, but they don't seem to work.

paleoN

Wizard
I've setup mount points per the wiki, and they are successfully created, but if I go to the directory outside of the jail, the files are not there..
This seems to indicate otherwise, no?

As a general FYI, it would be nice if people posted the actual configuration of their mounts and what's mounted when they ask for help with them.

Stop the jail, start the jail back up and run the following from the base system:
Code:
mount

cat /etc/fstab.jailname

touch /fullPathToExternalFolder/TESTfile

ls -al /fullPathToExternalFolder

jexec `jls jid` ls -al /fullPathToJailFolder

TravisT

Patron
My mount point setup is as follows:

Source: /mnt/moose/Sort/Torrents/Downloads
Destination: /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

Code:
[root@sannas01] /# mount
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs2a on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/md0 on /etc (ufs, local)
/dev/md1 on /mnt (ufs, local)
/dev/md2 on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 on /data (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
moose on /mnt/moose (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Databases on /mnt/moose/Databases (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Files on /mnt/moose/Files (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Media on /mnt/moose/Media (zfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Reference on /mnt/moose/Reference (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Software on /mnt/moose/Software (zfs, NFS exported, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/Sort on /mnt/moose/Sort (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/jail on /mnt/moose/jail (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
moose/plugins on /mnt/moose/plugins (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
raptor on /mnt/raptor (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
/dev/md3 on /var/tmp/.cache (ufs, local, soft-updates)
moose/ftproot on /mnt/moose/ftproot (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
/mnt/moose/Sort/Torrents/Downloads on /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads (nullfs, local)
/mnt/moose/plugins on /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/mnt/plugins (nullfs, local)
/mnt/moose/plugins/pbi on /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi (nullfs, local)
devfs on /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
procfs on /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/proc (procfs, local)

[root@sannas01] /# cat /etc/fstab.Jail
/mnt/moose/plugins      /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/mnt/plugins        nullfs  rw     00
/mnt/moose/plugins/pbi  /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi    nullfs  rw      0      0
/mnt/moose/Sort/Torrents/Downloads      /mnt/moose/jail/Jail//usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads        nullfs  rw      0       0

[root@sannas01] /# touch /mnt/moose/Sort/Torrents/Downloads/TESTfile

[root@sannas01] /# ls -al /mnt/moose/Sort/Torrents/Downloads/
total 212
drwxrwx---+ 8 administrator  domain users      10 Nov 21 20:41 ./
drwxrwx---+ 4 administrator  domain admins      4 Oct  4 20:34 ../
-rwxrwx---+ 1 root           domain users       0 Nov 21 20:41 TESTfile*

[root@sannas01] /# jexec 'jls jid' ls -al /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads/
jexec: jail "jls jid" not found

Not sure what that "jls jid" is supposed to be, but I think the problem lies in the fstab.jail output. I see a double slash in the path, but everything looks right on the gui config. I selected the folder by drilling down the folders in the GUI, and it entered the leading "/". I also tried removing that, but it didn't make a difference in the output.

paleoN

Wizard
Not sure what that "jls jid" is supposed to be, but I think the problem lies in the fstab.jail output.
Those are backticks, not single-quotes. Copy/paste next time?

I see a double slash in the path, but everything looks right on the gui config. I selected the folder by drilling down the folders in the GUI, and it entered the leading "/". I also tried removing that, but it didn't make a difference in the output.
I don't think that's the problem. I see the same myself with working mountpoints.

TravisT

Patron
My mistake on the copy paste.

Code:
[root@sannas01] ~# jexec `jls jid` ls -al /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads/
ls: /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads/: No such file or directory

I'm assuming you meant for me to use to my transmission download folder, so that's what I did. I also tried using the path to the jail folder itself, but got the same error:

Code:
[root@sannas01] ~# jexec `jls jid` ls -al /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/                 
ls: /mnt/moose/jail/Jail/: No such file or directory

paleoN

Wizard
Not quite.
Code:
jexec `jls jid` ls -al /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads
The ls command is executed inside the jail. The jail starts at and is chrooted to /mnt/moose/jail/Jail and can't see anything before/outside of it.

TravisT

Patron
Finally got it:

Code:
[root@sannas01] /# jexec `jls jid` ls -al /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads
total 44
drwxrwxr-x  2 transmission  transmission  2 Nov 21 23:26 .
drwxrwxr-x  6 transmission  transmission  8 Nov 21 21:02 ..

Calling it a night. Happy early turkey day!

paleoN

Wizard
I vaguely remember reading about someone having trouble with mount points when they changed the permissions on the destination folder. Let's try this:

1. Edit the mount point & uncheck Mounted?

2. Code:
    jexec `jls jid` chown -R root:wheel /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

jexec `jls jid` ls -al /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/

3. Re-enable mount point

4. Code:
    jexec `jls jid` ls -al /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

TravisT

Patron
Ok, so that fixed the mount point. I can create a file on the windows share and it shows up in the jail directory, and vise versa.

Now the problem is that although the download directory is set everywhere to the jail directory shown above, when any downloads begin, after a few seconds it says file exists. The file never appears in either the windows or the jail directory.

paleoN

Wizard
Excellent.

Now, with the mount point mounted, you need to give transmission permissions for that folder. E.G.
Code:
jexec `jls jid` chown -R transmission /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads
Depending on what ACLs you have set you may need to play around with other permission settings. I haven't used Transmission, but [thread=8569]this thread[/thread] seems to have some relevant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.