SOLVED Totally Noob can't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefftr66

Cadet
Created USB install stick using Unetbootin both using the downloaded .iso file and the pre-set config in the program. Can't get the NAS to recognize the USB stick.

Using USB 2.0 ports.

Kinda lost here - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

jefftr66

Cadet
Don't know if you need hardware specs:

Intel BX80662G4400 Pentium Processor G4400 3.3 GHz
MSI Pro Series Intel B250M PRO-VD
16 GB RAM

jefftr66

Cadet
I should also add - I'm using 1 USB drive and I want to install FreeNAS onto the M2 SSD drive on the computer. Is there a special way to do this? I'm only getting the black screen with blinky cursor.

Redcoat

MVP
Hi there and welcome to the Forums!

As you have a black screen and a blinky cursor, I suspect that you may not have set the BIOS boot order to boot off the USB as its first choice. So, remove the USB stick, power up the computer and make the appropriate BIOS selections to put the USB first in the boot order. Assuming that you can see the M2 SSD in the BIOS, make that the second item in the boot order list.

Then, as I know nothing about Unetbootin, I take the easy way out and suggest that you go to the manual here http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#on-freebsd-or-linux and follow the instructions to prepare the USB you will use to boot from and load FreeNAS onto your M2 SSD. It's important that the instructions are followed to the letter as the boot process can be "picky".

Then boot the target computer from your carefully prepared USB stick and follow the instructions in the user guide Section 2.3 to transfer the FreeNAS OS to the M2 SSD.

If it doesn't boot into the install menu then assume either you don't have the boot order set correctly in the BIOS or the USB stick is not properly prepared.

If you get stuck, come back and describe what you have done and what you can see on the monitor attached to the soon-to-be server.

Good luck!

jefftr66

Cadet
Thanks much for the suggestions. I did go in and mess around with the boot order - disabled the options I don't have.

I also went back and recreated the USB install stick using the dd method, once I figured out I needed to cd to the Desktop. (I have Macs and NOT a programmer)

Booted fine after that and installed to M.2 drive.

Now to figure out how to use it!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Redcoat

MVP
OK, well glad you're up and running. I know that there are lots of Mac users here who can help you - I'm not one, but I have seen lots of posts relating to creation of shares for Apple platforms so I encourage you to come back and look for pointers.

See the "Forum Rules" in the banner to get you smoothly started and always remember that "Search is your Friend" - use the open box above your user name in the top right hand corner here (or "Search Forums" in the header for more comprehensive options).

Status
Not open for further replies.