Can't install from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Elliott

Cadet
I see posts that are saying that FreeNAS can't recognize USB 3.0, but they are all old posts.

I downloaded the current FreeNAS-11.0-U2.iso and used RUFUS to make my bootable CD. This being 2017, i don't own any USB 2.0 memory sticks, and my current hardware does not have any USB 2.0 ports, nor should it. Is there a work around for this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am installing on a Lenovo M900 with 8GB DDR4. 8 USB 3.0 Ports, and a DVD Drive. I'm thinking I may have to dig up a blank CD Somewhere and write the ISO to that, even though that is pretty inconvenient. Haven't used a CD in a few years now, USB all the way for OS installs!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I see posts that are saying that FreeNAS can't recognize USB 3.0, but they are all old posts.
Since this is your first post, let me welcome you to the forums.
There's a link to the User Guide at the top of this page and
it describes the exact steps to make a bootable flash drive
and install FreeNAS to a second flash drive/SSD/SATA DOM.
Burning a disk is easier IMHO but then I'm a hater of flash drives :D

Adam Elliott

Cadet
Since this is your first post, let me welcome you to the forums.
There's a link to the User Guide at the top of this page and
it describes the exact steps to make a bootable flash drive
and install FreeNAS to a second flash drive/SSD/SATA DOM.
Burning a disk is easier IMHO but then I'm a hater of flash drives :D

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to install on a flash drive. It's just my install media. I did find a USB CD burner in my drawers today, so I can use that on my PC to burn a disk to install to the new machine. Just seems silly that FreeNAS can't include a USB3.0 driver. New machines don't have any USB2.0 slots. Well maybe some do, but my Lenovo does not.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Just seems silly that FreeNAS can't include a USB3.0 driver.
IIRC the support for USB 3.0 went in early 2016 with version 9.10
But the with all the different controllers/chipsets...
Any way, let us know how you make out installing FreeNAS on your machine :)

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Adam Elliott

Cadet
Well I finally got to the installation screen. (Used a burned CD with FreeNAS 11.0) I think the problem may have been it didn't recognize the Lenovo USB Mouse. I plugged in a Dell mouse and it finally loaded.
So i pick Install/Upgrade, "No drives available"! FML! I don't think it likes the SSD i have installed. I was planning to use the SSD for the OS and mechanical for the storage. Guess i'll have to use all mechanical.

The SSD is an mSata I pulled from a Dell laptop, with an adapter for it to use standard SATA and a 2.5 inch bay

danb35

Hall of Famer
I plugged in a Dell mouse
Why? The installer doesn't need a mouse (I'm not sure if it even uses one), and certainly the rest of the system doesn't use a mouse.

Not sure what to tell you about the SSD issue, though.

Adam Elliott

Cadet
Why? The installer doesn't need a mouse (I'm not sure if it even uses one), and certainly the rest of the system doesn't use a mouse.

Not sure what to tell you about the SSD issue, though.
Works with no mouse just fine, not sure why it acted all screwy with the Lenovo mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.