Time to really build it.

Octopuss

Patron
Yes, the CPU fan is PWM, so 4pin.
IPMView reports it running at permanent 3100rpm, which I presume is its maximum.

Evertb1

Guru
I did. Doesn't do anything.
I even plugged the CPU fan to different headers.

I installed IPMIView from Supermicro's site, and there's no control over the fans either.
There are a lot of resources on the web about how to run the IMPI tool from another computer on your network (a Linux client for example). Like here. But I still find it strange that choosing another profile has no effect at all. There is something you could try. Within IPM view choose the profile you want ("optimal" for example) and update it. If the change has no effect then go to the Cold Reset Button and reset the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller). It might work and can't do any harm. It's just a reset of the BMC without resetting the whole server.

Octopuss

Patron
There are a lot of resources on the web about how to run the IMPI tool from another computer on your network (a Linux client for example). Like here. But I still find it strange that choosing another profile has no effect at all. There is something you could try. Within IPM view choose the profile you want ("optimal" for example) and update it. If the change has no effect then go to the Cold Reset Button and reset the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller). It might work and can't do any harm. It's just a reset of the BMC without resetting the whole server.
IMPI tool is Linux only. I am a Windows person :(
And all the alternatives he lists there he says don't work....

Octopuss

Patron
Ok I got FreeNAS temporarily installed, but I can't find IPMITool anywhere in the interface.
Where is it?

Evertb1

Guru
Ok I got FreeNAS temporarily installed, but I can't find IPMITool anywhere in the interface.
Where is it?
You will not find it in the interface. It is a command line tool. You can use it from the shell (left menu in the web GUI) or you can use a tool like Putty and SSH in FreeNAS. I prefer Putty above the Shell. The Shell makes a hard to read mess of the output on the screen (it still works correct). With Putty the output on the screen is fine. If you are not familiar with Putty: It is a tool that you can download for free and wil run portable (on Windows). No need for installation. It is also not hard to use. Below you can see an example of the output on my FreeNAS box when I give the command
Code:
ipmitool sensor list all

Note that the shown values for the Fans are custom. Like the examples in the resource I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• IPMISensors.jpg
    IPMISensors.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 269

Octopuss

Patron
1549465687996.png

I don't know :(
I am running in a VM btw.

P.S. I have no idea what to do with Putty. It's too complicated and I don't have the slightest idea what am I looking at.

P.P.S. This worked when FreeNAS was installed directly before. But now that the server is running, I can't seem to do it anymore.

IQless

Contributor
A quick google search on how to connect to FreeNAS with Putty will give you numerous youtube guides.
If you plan to virtualize you should definitively learn at least how to ssh into VM's using putty.
I do not want to sound harsh, but If this is too hard, I think you will be in deep waters trying to virtualize a router and a FreeNAS VM (and get it working properly).

Octopuss

Patron
I managed to do it meanwhile, and it didn't work either.
I guess IPMI is not accessible from a VM.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
I'll need a better CPU cooler after all. The boxed one is relly loud even on medium rpm, and its noise is annoying as hell.
I don't want to spend way too much though... any tips?

Octopuss

Patron

Attachments

• 1549896568006.png
    1549896568006.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 377