Build Feedback Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_91

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

Looking for feedback on my build. Will be used primarily for file and backup storage at first. I want to explore other uses down the road and will most likely play around with Plex. If all goes well, maybe I'll expand there a little. I'm thinking it's a little much for just files and backups, but want to make sure I have room to grow.

Here is what I am thinking of:

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX
HDD: 4 x WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)
Boot: Spare Crucial 120GB SSD

RAM: 1 x Samsung 16GB ECC UDIMM (M391A2K43BB1-CPB)
or 2 x Samsung 8GB ECC UDIMM (M391A1G43EB1-CPB) Depends on Availability and Price

I was originally thinking of using a Pentium, such as the G4400. I think that would suffice for the files and backups, but I'm not sure that will give me enough if I want to get into more functionality.

Thanks in Advance!!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks good.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks good, what pool layout? And make sure to read the burn in guide.

If you are going to run Plex I would say the more ram the better. The only way you can max the board is with 16GB sticks but they are pretty high

The G4400 wold run one transcode in Plex but not do a ton more(about a 3500 passmark). A G4560 would run you about 80 from B&H photo and be a little closer to the i3 you have listed which is probably running around 120 for a 4900 vs 5400 passmark. I have a G4560 in a mining rig and had my step daughter gaming with it at one point. But it depends on if you want to save 50 bucks or have something with just a little more pep both should be able to transcode two streams at the same time. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201774043-What-kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-

If you make sure that the media you are using supports your devices then you should rarely transcode unless you are away and using a slow connection or are burning subtitles onto the stream. But when Plex does it's maintenance it can be CPU intensive to grab the frames for it's use so you still want the power available.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Awesome, definitely use 6 disks if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.