Time to really build it.

Octopuss

Patron
So this is continuation of my original thread just to make it cleaner.
I intend to build a virtualized server that will act as both a router and a NAS as a base.

I just need help with specific details.
Basics of the build:
case: Bitfenix Phenom M
motherboard: Supermicro X11SCH-F
CPU: Xeon E-2134 or Xeon E-2136
RAM: likely 2x8GB of Samsung M391A1G43EB1-CRC or M391A1K43BB1-CRC, whatever is cheaper over here.
PSU: for now I have my old Enermax MODU82+ that I keep in emergency spare parts box, but I might replace it with something more modern and quiet at some point. 525W is most likely pure overkill for this machine anyway (it appears like I might not even need more than 300W).

Now, the questions.
1) I am not sure how powerful CPU do I want.
I want the server to last me for several years without any performance-related upgrades, so I want to future-proof it a litle, but I don't want to overkill it either. I don't plan to run any VPN or anythnig similarly demanding. The server will mainly only serve as a router+NAS, and maybe a little media server on top of that. This is also just a small household with 3 computers and a TV.
Will the quad core Xeon be enough for this?
I also noticed the new Xeons don't seem to be available just yet, and the shipping time would likely be long, which sucks. I might just grab i3-8100 for now, but I hate to waste money, so... no idea there.

2) Will 16GB RAM be enough for this? Plus if anyone can recommnend me better memory (whatever "better" might mean) that has good availability, I'm all ears. It was surprisingly difficult to find unbuffered ECC memory over here.

3) How much storage for the system should I get? The actual data will be on a pair of WD Reds in RAID1, but I'm going to get a cheap SSD for the system. How much is enough? 128GB maybe?

Evertb1

Guru
1) I am not sure how powerful CPU do I want.
I want the server to last me for several years without any performance-related upgrades, so I want to future-proof it a litle, but I don't want to overkill it either. I don't plan to run any VPN or anythnig similarly demanding. The server will mainly only serve as a router+NAS, and maybe a little media server on top of that. This is also just a small household with 3 computers and a TV.
Will the quad core Xeon be enough for this?
I also noticed the new Xeons don't seem to be available just yet, and the shipping time would likely be long, which sucks. I might just grab i3-8100 for now, but I hate to waste money, so... no idea there.
For your intended use your CPU does not need to be a powerhouse. FreeNAS itself does not need much computing power. Even one of the modern Pentiums would be fine for a basic file server. But the Xeons you mentioned (even the quad core) are more then OK. Even if you start running plugins like Plex and want to do things like transcoding. Or maybe run some VM's. The availibility of those Xeons seems to be a problem at the moment. My own preferred shop can't deliver anything of the 8th generation at the moment. But for the Supermicro motherboards supporting them it is the same. On this side of Europe anyway. You might consider to go for a previous generation of mobo and CPU. You don't need to be afraid of it being future proof. For a server other rules apply then for a gaming rig.
2) Will 16GB RAM be enough for this? Plus if anyone can recommnend me better memory (whatever "better" might mean) that has good availability, I'm all ears. It was surprisingly difficult to find unbuffered ECC memory over here.
Yes. 16 GB RAM is ok to start with (8 GB is the recommended minimum) . But if I where you I would look for a 16 GB module to leave room for future memory expansions. FreeNAS does not care much about dual channel memory so it would not make much of a difference for the performance.
3) How much storage for the system should I get? The actual data will be on a pair of WD Reds in RAID1, but I'm going to get a cheap SSD for the system. How much is enough? 128GB maybe?
128 GB is already much more then needed for a boot device. Even 16 GB would be sufficient. But looking at the prices of SSD's these days, 128 GB would do no harm and does not break the bank.

By the way: Take the time to read some of the offered resources on the Forum. Especialy about ZFS. Raid1 is not a thing with ZFS. Mirroring and RAID configurations are handled by ZFS itself. Using a raid controller is a big no-no. To avoid misunderstandings it is handy to use the ZFS terms for your storage (zpools). You could start with this: ZFS Primer

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
Ah, good idea about the single module! I understand these "entry" level Xeons "only" support dual channel, so adding one more later on would work well.

I did read about the controllers, but I wasn't aware of the RAID thing. I'll go take a look - I might need to rethink the storage part.

Evertb1

Guru
I might need to rethink the storage part.
It's not complicated. FreeNAS needs to have direct control over the HDU's. So the on board SATA controller (or an added HBA in IT mode) is all you need. All the possible Zpool configurations will be handled by ZFS.

Octopuss

Patron
Seeing the Xeon (un)availability, I will consider the previous generation.
Just a general question - is anyone aware of any noticeable differences between 1200 and 2100 Xeons?

Evertb1

Guru
I intend to build a virtualized server
I missed this bit somehow. But If you want to virtualize FreeNAS (are you thinking of EXSi?) you might consider at least 32 GB of memory and more would be better.

Octopuss

Patron
Yup, Vsphere or whatever the real name of the product is.
I'll start with a single 16GB as suggestested and see how it works.

Evertb1

Guru
Seeing the Xeon (un)availability, I will consider the previous generation.
Just a general question - is anyone aware of any noticeable differences between 1200 and 2100 Xeons?
There are differences but it is al depending on what generation of the series you compare. For example the older 1200 series cannot manage more then 32GB of memeory while the newer series can manage 64GB. On the Intel ARK site (ark.intel.com) you are able to do comparisons of specific CPU's and series of CPU's. The information there is usualy precise and complete (barring some mistakes in the past).

Octopuss

Patron
I found one single sad E-2136 in one eshop by miracle and immediatelly grabbed it. Overpowered server is better than no server :)
Memory is on the way too.

The box cooler will most likely suck arse, so I'm looking into that right now. I am tempted to go with my old trusty Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the newer 212X, but I only have experience cooling a quad core i7 with it. On the other hand, the Xeons don't have too high TDP, so I might be fine.

Evertb1

Guru
The box cooler will most likely suck arse
Not necessary true. In my experience the boxed coolers are not bad and are reasonable quiet. You are not running a gaming rig but a server. The cpu on my server runs fine with the boxed cooler. Of course, if you own an aftermarket cooler already, it won't harm you a bit to use it. But I doubt it is needed.

Last edited:

pro lamer

Guru

Octopuss

Patron
One stick. I might add another in future if I decide to do whatever beefier with the server.

Oh and speaking about system storage - since the machine will run Vsphere, is 128GB still enough? I have no idea how much that needs.

Evertb1

Guru
Oh and speaking about system storage - since the machine will run Vsphere, is 128GB still enough? I have no idea how much that needs.
If you talk about the boot device 128 GB is plenty (16 GB should be enough). You will need seperate storage for your VM's though. If you haven't done so it would be a good thing if you looked at builds of other forum members how to go about it, When I build my ESXi server with a FreeNAS VM I used a lot of input of the build report from @Stux you can find here. It's lenghty but contains a lot of usefull information. I am sure you won't build a clone of his system but you can give it your own twist.

raito88

Dabbler
I see @Octopuss using
motherboard: Supermicro X11SCH-F
Dual LAN - it is just for backup connection or can get faster write/read speeds over network ?

Octopuss

Patron
If you talk about the boot device 128 GB is plenty (16 GB should be enough). You will need separate storage for your VM's though. If you haven't done so it would be a good thing if you looked at builds of other forum members how to go about it, When I build my ESXi server with a FreeNAS VM I used a lot of input of the build report from @Stux you can find here. It's lenghty but contains a lot of usefull information. I am sure you won't build a clone of his system but you can give it your own twist.
I am not sure I understand.
The VMs wouldn't fit on the SSD?

Evertb1

Guru
I am not sure I understand.
The VMs wouldn't fit on the SSD?
You asked if 128 GB would be sufficient for the SYSTEM disk. It is more then enough. The storage for your VM's is a different issue. If you want to run several VM's on the same SSD 128 GB could be to small. But that is totally depending on the VM's you want to have. On my own ESXi server I have a small (64 GB) SSD as boot/system device. I have the storage for my VM's on a separate (bigger) SSD. I don't think that is mandatory but I find it convenient.

Last edited:

Octopuss

Patron
Aha, I get it: you're talking about how much space the ESXi needs vs how much the VMs themselves use (and we're not talking about the FreeNAS's storage yet).
I think I mentioned it earlier. For now I just plan two VMs: pfSense and FreeNAS. Eventually I might add something related to media, and further down the line somehing that will act as dedicated server for some multiplayer games. So, probably not more than four permanent VMs total.
I guess old semi crappy sub-120GB SSD for system and Samsung 970 EVO 250GB for the VMs? The endurance of the EVO shouldn't pose a problem I presume?

Octopuss

Patron
I bought Samsung SM961 256GB for the VMs and managed to find a small 128GB SSD I pried out of my wife's notebook when I was upgrading the disks.
I guess I am all set.

Evertb1

Guru
I bought Samsung SM961 256GB for the VMs and managed to find a small 128GB SSD I pried out of my wife's notebook when I was upgrading the disks.
I guess I am all set.
That should do it. Another point: Virtualizing FreeNAS is not really advised but can be done with good results (I know from experience). However it takes some effort and some extra hardware. I hope you have done your research otherwise you could look at failure. If you feel OK about it I wish you success. If you are not sure yet you might find this usefull (and ofcourse that build report I mentioned before).

Octopuss

Patron
Hm, so in virtualization case, does it mean I absolutely must buy extra controller card? The board I chose is not capable of this?