TIL: My FreeNAS implementation needs kicked in the face and rebuilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTrain

Dabbler
Greetings All,

First of all I'd like to thank those who contribute to the forum. I've learned a lot in just the last few hours. Initially I started browsing the forum for ideas to fix my FreeNAS performance issues, but since have decided to join the community and learn the FreeNAS platform.

As such, I thought I'd share my first days experience as an introduction.

My Deployment: One HP DL360 G5 running FreeNAS. Serving up NFS to a vCenter 5.5 cluster with two HP DL380 G5 hosts. The result, epic fail.

Things I need to fix...

1. The P400i controller in the DL360 G5 doesn't support JBOD... it needs replaced.
  2. The P400i is running a 5 drive Raid 5 + hot spare. It's serving up hardware raid to FreeNAS. Complete Fail.
  3. Only 8GB of RAM. Didn't really figure it out until I correlated the 7/8th consumption to what my Storage Array is doing.
Things I learned...
  1. The nature of NFS will require more hardware to support good performance.
  2. People who run iSCSI instead of NFS are Cray' Cray'
  3. Intel NICs are important
  4. ZIL =/= L2ARC
  5. A lot of folks struggle to understand Enterprise hardware and like to complain (what else is new?).
Thanks again for the support!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sounds like he's off to a pretty decent start there though. FreeNAS requires a bit more investment in time and hardware but can really provide some RoI.

KTrain

Dabbler
I'd like to provide an update.

I've replaced my P400i failraid with an LSI 9211-8i running a RaidZ1 w/ hot spare. I'm using the same disks (6 x 146GB SFF HP Disks). I've also bumped up to 32GB of memory.

Next step is to add a new network card based off an Intel chipset to see what that gets me. My performance is still pretty poor, but I think I'm moving in the right direction. Will advise.

Dusan

Guru
I've replaced my P400i failraid with an LSI 9211-8i running a RaidZ1 w/ hot spare. I'm using the same disks (6 x 146GB SFF HP Disks). I've also bumped up to 32GB of memory.
There is no reason for a spare in this setup. Switch to RAIDZ2 instead -- make the spare a full member of the pool. If a drive fails you do not need to do a replace and wait for resilver to finish. Your pool just goes from 2 drive redundancy to 1 drive redundancy -- as compared to RADIZ1 + spare, where you have to wait for resilver to finish to get back to 1 redundant drive (and if another drive fails during the resilver you pool may be lost). Also, spare will not autoreplace in FreeNAS.

KTrain

Dabbler
There is no reason for a spare in this setup. Switch to RAIDZ2 instead -- make the spare a full member of the pool. If a drive fails you do not need to do a replace and wait for resilver to finish. Your pool just goes from 2 drive redundancy to 1 drive redundancy -- as compared to RADIZ1 + spare, where you have to wait for resilver to finish to get back to 1 redundant drive (and if another drive fails during the resilver you pool may be lost). Also, spare will not autoreplace in FreeNAS.

Interesting feedback. My choice for a Z1 was based on overhead, not redundancy. I'd prefer the Z2 for the reasons you mentioned above, but since I'm already battling I/O issues I didn't want to introduce more overhead. Since I'm still in a deployment phase I'll definitely keep your feedback in mind. Thanks for your thoughts.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you're having I/O issues, really, try getting rid of RAIDZ and just go to mirrored.

KTrain

Dabbler
If you're having I/O issues, really, try getting rid of RAIDZ and just go to mirrored.

That's actually part of my strategy. I have a second system that I plan to setup in a mirrored fashion. This will allow me to have two tiers of storage (one for archiving/backups and one for performance). Since I'm so new to this platform I wanted to try to get one working "correctly" before I setup the second. Ideally, I can figure out the configuration I need (hardware and software), implement it on the second system, swing my datastores over to that, and then finally rebuild the current system as a Z2. It's a lot of theory at this point but it's the direction I'm headed. I've also considered building a new larger system, but don't have confidence in my ability to do it "right" yet. I'm still learning.

Thanks for the feedback jgreco, I agree with your thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.