Hello from Belfast Northern Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Splat

Dabbler
Hello,

Having recently (in the last couple of months) decided to build my own NAS, I settled on the idea of using FreeNAS. Unfortunately, the geeky side of me got the better of me and I thought I could build myself a large capacity inexpensive NAS using bog-standard PC hardware. I am now currently sitting with FreeNAS box containing 3 x 3tb WD red's in Raidz1 sitting on top an asrock mobo and 8gb's of non-ecc ddr3 ram.

Having jumped before looking properly I have learned that my set up is not particularly good for any sustained use. I should add that I am a student, I am coming to the end of my industrial placement which means no more decent pay-cheques coming my way for a while, and I am about to go into my final year. Therefore I have moved to rectify my mistake before I am back to living off pot-noodles.

I have managed to source a used mATX supermicro x9scm-f (c204 chipset) from the states and 8GB of Hynix unbuffered ECC RAM for less than $200, and these will plug the gaps in my build, these replacements will be added to the Celeron G1620 that is currently in there, whilst I know this would be considered below low-end I am hopeful that it will suit my needs until I can justify spending a bit more money on a better processor. The NAS is not intended for business, it is mainly going to serve as a media centre, and a centralised storage space for a couple of used HP dl360 G5's (which will not be on 24/7, electricity bills and co will get me murdered by flat-mates).

As far as I am aware this should be enough for my needs, and I will be left with some near enough brand spanking new components to build a super-powered firewall/router from.

Hopefully I have learned from my mistakes, and I hope to get much use out of my box!

cheers,

Mr Splat

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Good luck in your final year
and welcome to the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.