This is a FreeNAS data disk and cannot boot system

Status
Not open for further replies.

quackattack

Cadet
we have a supermicro server and using FreeNAS from USB. FreeNAS was all setup ZFS volume created etc. I rebooted the server and now I am getting this message This is a FreeNAS data disk and cannot boot system. The weird thing is after troubleshooting if I remove the raid card from the motherboard FreeNAS will boot from USB but with the raid card plugged in it will not boot anymore.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Quackattack

Last edited by a moderator:

quackattack

Cadet
One more thing... the server will boot into FreeNAS with the LSI card in or out but won't boot into FreeNAS with the hard drives attached to the LSI card... what is the best way to proceed. To boot FreeNAS with all drives out then plug them in and import the pool?

I think one drive is causing the problem as we just added an additional 10 drives and 2 hotspares. could one of these drives not allow me to boot the FreeNAS os? It was all ok when the system was online.

Recommendations on next steps? Thanks in advance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
In the bios you can change the boot device. You need to make it the USB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And you need to not use RAID controllers. ;)

quackattack

Cadet
Usb is boot disk

Lsi 9211 flashed to it mode. No raid.

I just don't understand why the drives in it would stop it from booting.

Can I inport the pool after I get it all online?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There is no need to panic.

The IBM PC has a BIOS which attempts to boot from the first hard disk. Since FreeNAS hard disks are not bootable, rather than just crashing or not working, they have a boot sector which tells you that they're not bootable.

Modern variants of the BIOS allow you to specify the boot device ordering and whether or not a device is a candidate. Go into the BIOS and bludgeon out everything except USB as a potential boot candidate. That FreeNAS message is essentially a reminder that you didn't configure this correctly and is harmless.

In a crisis you can also manually select a boot device, I want to say for Supermicro it's done by pressing <ESC> during POST to bring up the BIOS boot selection menu, but it might be <F9> as I tend to get several different manufacturers confused. This won't stick so you really need to fix it in the BIOS instead.

You won't need to import the pool as long as all you did was try to reboot the system. The configuration is out there and all it needs is to bring up FreeBSD and start FreeNAS and it'll be fine. If you tried to reinstall the FreeNAS image on the USB, then a pool import is in your future.

quackattack

Cadet
I had set the BIOS to only boot from the USB and unchecked all other options and it loops on retrying boot device

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Good, then you're closer to figuring out your issue. Now you need to determine whether there is an issue preventing USB boot or if maybe it isn't able to boot the provided image.

RDM

Explorer
I know this is an old thread but the power went out the other day and upon reboot I have this message. I don't use a USB and have not changed anything. So I can only assume that the OS drive has crapped out. If I rebuild it, will it recognize my data drives and I can be back in business?

Thanks...

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I know this is an old thread but the power went out the other day and upon reboot I have this message. I don't use a USB and have not changed anything. So I can only assume that the OS drive has crapped out. If I rebuild it, will it recognize my data drives and I can be back in business?

Thanks...
Either your boot drive is bad, or the BIOS boot order has changed somehow.

First thing to do is check the BIOS boot order. Make sure your boot drive is selected as the boot device.

If the BIOS boot order is correct and your system still doesn't boot, then yes, it's likely that your boot drive is bad. Replace it and re-install FreeNAS. Hopefully you've been saving your configuration file, as it's much easier to re-create your system with a saved configuration. The new FreeNAS installation will load your existing pool and you'll be back in business with the twin caveats that, if you don't have a copy of your configuration, you'll have to do quite a bit of setup work, and that none of your data disks were damaged by the power outage.

Good luck!

joeschmuck

Old Man
@RDM You said your boot device is not a USB drive, then what is it? I ask because my advice would be to test the drive out by running a SMART Long test on it. If it passes then just reinstall FreeNAS on it. It's possible the device was doing something during the power failure(s), and if the power fluctuated enough that could have caused the issues. I'm not saying the device is good, you need to test it first. If it fails, use something else as the boot device.

Lastly, it doesn't sound like you have an UPS on your machine, of it you do, not properly configured. Hint Hint.

RDM

Explorer
Thanks gentlemen. BIOS is correct so. Come to think of it I heard it making noises a few weeks ago. Paid no mind to it but. And no I did not save a config file so I'm gonna have to reset the entire shebang up. Not a big deal. But can I switch to running off USB? I could do that in minutes, no?

And no, no power supply. Its not really doing anything but just storing some backups that I have on another machine so.

I'm going to see if I can whip up a USB install.

Thanks again.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Stux

MVP
May be able to get config backup off system dataset.

RDM

Explorer
OK well, what I thought would be minutes to spin up a USB turned out not to be. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what the issue is. I downloaded the 9.10 ISO, burned it to a CD-ROM. Yet when I boot up WITH CD ROM first in sequence I still get the message. Like the CD is not bootable? I'm at a loss. Is there anyway to just create a USB without a CD install? Seems like you could just copy over the OS somehow?

Stux

MVP
The ISO needs to be used to make an install USB

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there anyway to just create a USB without a CD install?
No.

Edit: However, there's nothing preventing you from using a different computer to do the installation. Boot the CD on another computer, install to USB, plug the USB into your server once it's done.

RDM

Explorer
OK thanks Stux. I used Windows 10 to just burn the ISO onto a CD. Could that be it? Do I need like a NERO or something? I haven't done it for a while so I may be missing something here. Plus, I ain't gettin any younger.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK thanks Stux. I used Windows 10 to just burn the ISO onto a CD. Could that be it? Do I need like a NERO or something? I haven't done it for a while so I may be missing something here. Plus, I ain't gettin any younger.
You don't need Windows to do the install. You can also use Mac, Linux or FreeBSD. Try reading the manual for install instructions.

https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/install.html

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RDM

Explorer
Yeah I'm a dumbass. I just clicked the ISO and said burn to disk so. And, that was my last one so off to Best Buy after work.
Thanks again everyone.

One more thing Stux, you said I may be able to get my config from the system dataset?
Is that AFTER I get the OS back? During? Is there doc anywhere on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.