This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianH2013

Cadet
I've been beating my head against a wall for the past two days trying to figure this out. I was previously running FreeNas in my system and I've decided to go a different direction. I removed all FreeNas partitions, re-wrote the partition tables, and installed CentOS. But every time I boot it tells me, "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

How does it still know FreeNas was on these drives? I've destroyed all data and partition layouts. Is there something else I need to clear to get this working?

Thanks
Brian

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Brian:

Interesting that we had a similar question earlier tonight.

Anyway, it seems that FreeNAS puts a couple partitions on the drive that certain Linuces don't remove very well. The other guy was trying to install Crapbuntu, and I bet you're experiencing the same problem.

What he did, is he mounted the drive in Windows, if you can believe it, and use Windows to wipe out all partitions on the drive, then everything was cool.

So my suggestion to you, is you probably have partitions that FreeNAS created that aren't playing nice and that the Linux installs are not wiping out. use whatever technique you'd like to check for remnant partitions, and delete them.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, what you need to do is wipe the MBR on the disks.

BrianH2013

Cadet
Just performed the following... rebooting to see if it works.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Keep in mind if you are seeing that message its because you don't have the right hard drive selected for your boot disk in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.