Using an old Freenas Data Disk

gearhead

Contributor
I had couple of old disks in my Freenas system that I replaced. I used Parted Magic to delete the two partition on each disk. I put one in a computer and booted the computer. Bios provided the following message "This is a FreeNAS data disk ad can not boot system. System halted." My question is how does bios knows that this was a FreeNAS disk? I thought by deleting the partitions all information is gone! TIA

RickH

Explorer
I had couple of old disks in my Freenas system that I replaced. I used Parted Magic to delete the two partition on each disk. I put one in a computer and booted the computer. Bios provided the following message "This is a FreeNAS data disk ad can not boot system. System halted." My question is how does bios knows that this was a FreeNAS disk? I thought by deleting the partitions all information is gone! TIA

ZFS actually writes some metadata on the first few sectors and the LAST few sectors of the drive - blowing out the partitions doesn't always overwrite this data and can cause the issue you're seeing.

This thread walks through a process to remove this metadata so the disk can be used again:

gearhead

Contributor
thank you