"The FreeNAS Consortium"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joon

Social Media Guru
Hey everyone! I'm OtherTone aka Joon. I work at iXsystems and have just starting to get my feet wet with FreeNAS! I wanted to let everyone know that we have a new group page linked to the FreeNAS Community (FreeNAS Facebook page). Feel free to join if you're on Facebook and help us reach out to others that may not be on the forums!

** JoshDW19 edited this for clarity. ;)

** Thanks again Josh~

Last edited:

Joon

Social Media Guru
Also, nice to meet everyone! New FreeBSD/FreeNAS user :D

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

No, I haven't seen the Facebook page. I do not have, nor want a Facebook account.

Me neither!

chris crude

Patron
I just placed my join request.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would it not be more productive to direct those users to these forums? Or is there a benefit I don't see to fragmenting the support options?

Joon

Social Media Guru
It's another place for FreeNAS users to engage with each other!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And if you're going to move my post to the identical thread in the Announcements forum to this thread for "cleanup", why is that thread still there and open?
That's actually my fault, sorry, I was going to delete the thread when I got sidetracked trying to figure out what the hell was going on because of the mysteriously-appearing iXsystems and Moderator tags.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I guess I've got a few issues here:
  1. We have an "Introduction" thread from a brand-new forum member, "Super Moderator", and iX employee, that does nothing at all to introduce this person.
  2. Instead, the "introduction" thread promotes a Facebook page.
  3. But it doesn't do so directly, preferring instead to play games (to the extent of changing the thread title from the actual name of the page, to "The FreeNAS _______").
  4. That page is "a page dedicated to help users on everything FreeNAS" and "another place for FreeNAS users to engage with each other," despite there being no clear need for such a place, and at least one good reason not to have it (i.e., that it will fragment support resources).
That's an awful lot of levels of wrong in such a short thread.
FWIW, I fully agree and am just about as much in the dark as everyone.

Joon

Social Media Guru
I do apologize @danb35. I am an iX employee who just started to use FreeNAS and interested in learning everything about it.

To be honest, I did not think this post would be so problematic for anyone. I changed the title to include the _____ in an attempt to increase curiosity/interest. My intentions for the post was to promote our new group page on facebook. Again, I apologize for the confusion and aggravation this thread caused you, @Ericloewe and @danb35. I have switched the title to include the full name of the group, and tried to provide a clearer picture of what I want to do in the op.

I have much to learn about the culture of the forums. This has been a learning experience! Next time, my posts will be much clearer and won't waste anyone's time. Hopefully, the FreeNAS wizard can teach me a thing or two! Thanks!

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey everyone,

Joon is new over at iXsystems and is helping out with some of our social media. He told me the other day that he made a new Facebook group and I said hey why not link it on the forums? I was just trying to get his forum permissions set earlier which is why you saw them flip back and forth a couple of times. Xenforo permissions are a fine art and by fine art, I mean really crappy and unfun. Joon isn't a mod per say, but he had to be given permissions of a mod to post in announcements about the new Facebook group. It's his first time here on the forums so if we could cut him some slack that'd be awesome.

I've also adjusted the op to be more concise.

Thanks all!

Joon

Social Media Guru
Thanks, Josh! Always appreciate you man.
I'm a mod in training.. everyone please bear with me!

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
...and my post gets deleted? Not cool.

Several posts were removed to keep the thread on point. It was quickly turning into a bloated mess because the point was not conveyed well originally. No harm no foul. Just need to keep things on point and avoid needless arguments. Hope this helps.

Josh

danb35

Hall of Famer
There were a number of issues raised in my deleted post. Through the magic of revisionist history you've addressed most of them, but a big one remains: what's the point of this new Facebook page? @OtherTone, at least, seems to be describing it as another official support resource. What need do you see for such a thing? What benefit do you expect to gain from having it? What benefit do you expect your users to gain? How do you expect that those benefits will outweigh the additional cost to you to administer and moderate that page, and the loss of focus resulting from deliberately fragmenting your support resources? And, perhaps most importantly, what do you see this doing that the existing, longstanding forums don't already do?

If you want a place for FreeNAS users to engage with each other, you have it right here. If you want a place for FreeNAS users to help each other out, you have that right here as well. You have an amazing wealth of knowledge in one place, somewhat categorized, and more-or-less searchable. So what does the Facebook page add?

chris crude

Patron
There were a number of issues raised in my deleted post. Through the magic of revisionist history you've addressed most of them, but a big one remains: what's the point of this new Facebook page? @OtherTone, at least, seems to be describing it as another official support resource. What need do you see for such a thing? What benefit do you expect to gain from having it? What benefit do you expect your users to gain? How do you expect that those benefits will outweigh the additional cost to you to administer and moderate that page, and the loss of focus resulting from deliberately fragmenting your support resources? And, perhaps most importantly, what do you see this doing that the existing, longstanding forums don't already do?

If you want a place for FreeNAS users to engage with each other, you have it right here. If you want a place for FreeNAS users to help each other out, you have that right here as well. You have an amazing wealth of knowledge in one place, somewhat categorized, and more-or-less searchable. So what does the Facebook page add?

A presence in social media in an attempt to reach extra users and extend the brand?

danb35

Hall of Famer
A presence in social media in an attempt to reach extra users and extend the brand?
It seems that purpose would be served by the existing Facebook page(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.