Upcoming Plans for the FreeNAS Forums in 2019

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hi everyone,

As you all know, iXsystems has been leading the development of FreeNAS for many years now and we want to take a moment to talk about some of our upcoming plans for the FreeNAS Community in 2019. As we continue to sponsor and develop different projects, it's becoming apparent that it would be much easier for users of these projects to have one place to go for discussion related to all of iXsystems’ products. Starting this month, we will begin transitioning the FreeNAS forums to reside on ixsystems.com/community/, where we will expand the forums to include subforums for Project TrueView and TrueOS. Rest assured we’re dedicated to making sure that the current FreeNAS community experience is preserved. This means all thread history will be accessible just as it is now and the Forum software will not change.

We hope that you will join us while we work to create the new iXsystems community experience this year. We’re confident that this is a great way to help bring multiple communities together and to create a better user experience, no matter which iXsystems product a person is using. If you have any questions, please let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them.

Thanks for being a valuable member of the FreeNAS Community. We look forward to seeing what 2019 brings and we hope you do too. If you have any questions please let us know and we’ll be glad to answer them.

Thanks,

Joshua

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Rest assured we’re dedicated to making sure that the current FreeNAS community experience is preserved. This means all thread history will be accessible just as it is now and the Forum software will not change.
The forum software recently was updated and history has not been working properly since then. It appears that posts from before the change are viewable, but posts since the change are not.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is project TrueView?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The forum software recently was updated and history has not been working properly since then. It appears that posts from before the change are viewable, but posts since the change are not.
What do you mean?

It's the management thing for multiple FreeNAS/TrueNAS boxes.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What do you mean?
Click on a users avatar and select "messages". It will only show posts up to December 11, 2018. A workaround that I found if you want to see all of a members posts up to current is to select "latest activity" and it will display current posts.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
404 Not Found?

My karma better transfer to the new system. ;)

Cheers,
Matt
Well, the
If you have a look at this, as an example, it would appear that you have made no posts since December 11th:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?search/36949/

If you look at the similar results for me, it appears I have not posted since December 11th:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?search/36950/
I see what you mean now. We can keep track of it here:
http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/is-search-broken.73568/#post-510114

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame

Here's a VMworld post that talks a little bit about Project TrueView. Project TrueView is a working name right now and hasn't been finalized.

Thank you for letting me know. I also saw another thread mentioning this and will begin researching this to find a cause. I know this happened once before almost immediately after migration and it had something to do with running low on space on the host.

404 Not Found?

My karma better transfer to the new system. ;)

Cheers,
Matt

I am proud to say karma will not be affected! :cool:

TrueView sounds awesome. Single Pane of Glass Management and Role Based Access is something users have wanted for a while now. Can wait to try it out. :D

jerryjharrison

Explorer
Since I am still seeing the "Page not found" I am assuming you will make an announcement here to let us know when to take a look at the new site.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I hate to be a debbie downer, but this looks like a solution in need of a problem.
:)

SeaFox

Explorer
I hate to be a debbie downer, but this looks like a solution in need of a problem.
:)

To iXSystems, the problem is "Our FreeNAS users aren't aware enough of the other (non-free) products we make besides TrueNAS. How can we get more eyeballs seeing those products without resorting to actual ads?"

"I know! We'll stick everyone together in one big forum, so they will be seeing the discussion sections for them all the time when they visit."

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
To iXSystems, the problem is "Our FreeNAS users aren't aware enough of the other (non-free) products we make besides TrueNAS. How can we get more eyeballs seeing those products without resorting to actual ads?"

"I know! We'll stick everyone together in one big forum, so they will be seeing the discussion sections for them all the time when they visit."

Alright, well, I am dubious about it. It's hard for me to see a clear upside that would have the business result you postulate, while it is easy for me to articulate a downside in the branding of FreeNAS itself and its ecosystem. Well whatever. I suppose if it's well-implemented we'll hardly notice.
(which of course, is precisely why it's a solution in need of a problem, but...whatever).

Evertb1

Guru
How can we get more eyeballs seeing those products without resorting to actual ads?"
I am just a simple home user of FreeNAS. I love it that I am able to use a storage solution that potentialy has the stability and quality of an enterprise solution. In that respect to me FreenNAS is a means to an end. But purely in the home environment. Being "forced" to eyeball the commercial products of iXSystems won't mean a lot to me. As a private person I am not in the market for them. And as an IT professional speaking: I don't think that the institutional banks I write software for will involve me in the proces of aquiring their corporate storage and other IT solutions.

SeaFox

Explorer
I am just a simple home user of FreeNAS. ... Being "forced" to eyeball the commercial products of iXSystems won't mean a lot to me. As a private person I am not in the market for them. And as an IT professional speaking: I don't think that the institutional banks I write software for will involve me in the proces of aquiring their corporate storage and other IT solutions.

That may be true for you, but there are likely individuals in IT-related fields who use FreeNAS at home, and do have the ear of the person in charge of such decisions for their organization. People who may have not have known of the existence of these other iXSystems products, were they not name-dropped in unrelated discussions. It's already happened in this very thread...

Human curiousity strikes again! Now Jailer has been made aware of TrueView, and if he's ever party to a discussion where folks want to streamline the management of several TrueNAS systems, guess what might pop into his head. Mission Accomplished.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That may be true for you, but there are likely individuals in IT-related fields who use FreeNAS at home, and do have the ear of the person in charge of such decisions for their organization. People who may have not have known of the existence of these other iXSystems products, were they not name-dropped in unrelated discussions. It's already happened in this very thread...
It may get some additional eyes on the options, but I think it is more about reducing the administrative burden. If there were three (or more) separate forums, it is more work to admin, than a single forum. There may also be some software licensing involved. I don't know what their back-end server and software infrastructure looks like. I do know that some software must be licensed on a per URL basis. I bought some website building software several years back that worked that way.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
It may get some additional eyes on the options, but I think it is more about reducing the administrative burden. If there were three (or more) separate forums, it is more work to admin, than a single forum. There may also be some software licensing involved. I don't know what their back-end server and software infrastructure looks like. I do know that some software must be licensed on a per URL basis. I bought some website building software several years back that worked that way.

That's a big part of it Chris. In the past, I've had to maintain several different forums on different platforms. Another part is that there's been a disconnect between our communities even though they share some very common things.

There's nothing there at the website address mentioned yet. We're just giving everyone a heads up before we make any changes.

adrianwi

Guru
I hope there is a way of viewing all the unread threads ONLY in the FreeNAS forums?