The folder “transmission” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
I'm trying to access this folder from my iMac but I get this error.

"The folder “transmission” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 7.10.38 PM.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

I want access to this folder for when I upgrade to corral, I don't want too lose the over 200 torrents I have in transmission.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Give yourself permissions.

Hardware specs and freenas version. Along with who is the owner of that folder and what are the permissions. What protocol are you using? Who are you connecting as?

You need to learn to actually provide information so someone can actually help you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2550 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 16327MB
System Time Thu Apr 06 21:10:07 EDT 2017
Uptime 9:10PM up 19 days, 2:43, 0 users
Load Average 0.26, 0.26, 0.25

Owner of the folder? No one... Transmission... There are no users on my machine other than "root"

What protocol? AFP maybe, Im accessing my machine from my iMac using "Finder"

Connecting as Guest as I can't connect as "root" from my iMac

My sincerest apologies for not knowing the proper way to ask for help when not knowing something. I hope I have provided a little bit of useful information and if not please tell my what other information could help.

Thank you ;)

Glorious1

Guru
Owner of the folder? No one... Transmission... There are no users on my machine other than "root"

What protocol? AFP maybe, Im accessing my machine from my iMac using "Finder"

Connecting as Guest as I can't connect as "root" from my iMac
There might be no other people who use your server, but there are lots of other 'users' that can own files in the unix world. You should SSH into the parent folder and do ls -l to see what the actual owner and group are and what the permissions are. You will probably have to do this anyway to change the owner and/or permissions.

What do you mean you're connecting as 'Guest'? How do you do that? You should have a user name and password on the server, and log in through Finder with those credentials.

Also, is this folder in a jail?

Just a piece of advice - Corral may be difficult to adjust to and you may encounter bugs, and documentation is not as rich as FreeNAS 9.10. I would suggest that upgrading at this point is best left to the highly skilled and knowledgeable FreeNAS gurus.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is a group and owner for that directory, you need to find out who that is. Is this a dataset you created? What is the path it's located at on freenas? If it's a dataset you can see it under the dataset settings. If it's a folder you will have to ssh in or maybe osx has to a way to look at permissions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Glorious1

Guru
You can see permissions in the Finder, but they will probably not be correct when looking at files on FreeNAS, and you can't change them from the Finder. I get "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission", even when I own the file. And I set it up so that my userID is the same on my mac and on FreeNAS.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
There might be no other people who use your server, but there are lots of other 'users' that can own files in the unix world. You should SSH into the parent folder and do ls -l to see what the actual owner and group are and what the permissions are. You will probably have to do this anyway to change the owner and/or permissions.

What do you mean you're connecting as 'Guest'? How do you do that? You should have a user name and password on the server, and log in through Finder with those credentials.

Also, is this folder in a jail?

Just a piece of advice - Corral may be difficult to adjust to and you may encounter bugs, and documentation is not as rich as FreeNAS 9.10. I would suggest that upgrading at this point is best left to the highly skilled and knowledgeable FreeNAS gurus.

ok that was fun...
the listed user and group for the transmission folder is 921 permissions drwxr-x---

When accessing my freenas from finder i just click on the device and it simply connects as a guest

yes this folder is in the transmission jail

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
if you chmod 755 the folder on the freenas cli, you should have permissions to read the files.

But really you should figure out your system. You should not be sharing a folder that exists in a jail/container. That folder should be in a dataset on your pool and mounted into that transmission jail/container.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
Update: I created
if you chmod 755 the folder on the freenas cli, you should have permissions to read the files.

But really you should figure out your system. You should not be sharing a folder that exists in a jail/container. That folder should be in a dataset on your pool and mounted into that transmission jail/container.
the path to that folder is /mtn/Media/jails/transmission_2/var/db/transmisison
I wanted to access this folder because inside is the "torrent" folder which holds all the torrents I currently have in transmission.

But I did learn stuff today, so thank you for helping me learn

I did the chmod and it worked also learned about chown

Glorious1

Guru
But you may find that, if you change the owner of that folder, transmission can no longer deal with it.

Here's how I dealt with permissions etc. in my transmission jail. And as SweetAndLow said, I do not share the jail. I only share the external storage that is linked to it. If you want to copy your torrents out, you should SSH into the jail and copy them to the linked storage.

In FreeNAS WebGUI, set permissions for Media dataset (which contains the external jail storage) recursively to mode 750:
Owner - read, write, execute
Group - read, execute
Other - none

In the jail, add a new user with User ID (number) matching the owner (you) of the linked dataset/folders (see it in WebGUI, Account > Users). I called the new user tranny, and my User ID on Freenas (user jim) is 1001:
pw useradd -n tranny -u 1001 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin

In the jail, change ownership of the data-directory and change the user the plugin runs as:
Code:
service transmission stop
# next line may not be neceesary; I think that path is a legacy of older version of transmission
chown -R tranny:tranny /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home
chown -R tranny:tranny /var/db/transmission
sysrc 'transmission_user=tranny'
service transmission start

Status
Not open for further replies.