How do you get Transmission to write to added storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codenamezero

Explorer
Old CF crapped out, so re-installed Freenas fresh and just applied the old 9.2-ish settings. I wiped all the jails and plugins and start over.

So I installed Transmission, and I can torrent stuff as long as it goes to its own default folder inside the jail dataset...

Then I went to transmission_1 jail and add storage, i mapped my existing location to /tmp (that's how i was doing it before previously)... However, even after it says Storage added successfully, it doesn't show what was added in the Jail tab. I can see the mapping (or symlink perhaps?) and see all my files under /tmp, but when i try to torrent stuff, it won't let me, and says Error: Permission denied.

Both the /tmp under transmission_1 and the actual folder that i torrent my files both belongs to the same freenas group and both belong to root... so they should have permission to write...

What else am i missing?

Whattteva

Wizard
As far as I know, the transmission process runs under transmission user and not under root. You should definitely not be running transmission under root as it's a huge security risk.
What's the output of:
Code:
ls -l

codenamezero

Explorer
This is the output when i open the console from jail.

Code:
dr-xr-xr-x  12 root  wheel  512 Jun 26 00:55 dev                             
drwxr-xr-x  25 root  wheel    25 Jun 26 00:55 var                             
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel  100 Jun 26 00:56 etc                             
drwxrwxr-x  98 root  1001    322 Jun 26 03:01 tmp                             
drwxrwxr-x  98 root  1001    322 Jun 26 03:01 media                           
dr-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    0 Jun 26 20:06 proc                             
root@transmission_1:/ #                            

Sometimes instead of showing 1001, it would show freenas instead.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
In your FreeNas web gui add a user called transmission (or anything you like - just make sure you won't forget what that user is for) with User ID of 921 and disabled password login. Now you can add it to a group that has write access to your storage and Transmission should be able to write without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.