T310 dilemma & thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoServguy

Dabbler
Well after reading the information I could find, I thought I would ask for opinions. This server was handed to me to try to establish an encrypted file storage unit. I am not well versed at servers except some experience with hardware. (More of a desktop workstation trouble shooter). My objective is to establish a storage unit with this server to save documents in encrypted format for protection. I will have no more that three people accessing this system with I as admin. Data will be moved to storage once or twice daily. Retrieval of data will be to print and/or review with one primary person retrieving data. That might happen daily about 5 to 6 times.
The system has a Xeon X3430 processor, pitiful 4 gig of ram, it's (4) 1 gig modules, ECC), (3) 250gb drives , (I intend to dump and replace with two WD RED NAS 2TB drives), 1 dvd drive, a Perc H700 RAID controller (which I see is recommended to be removed), 4 hot swap bays, 2 hot swap Power Supplies. It is a Dell (so I know there is bound to be propriety issues!).
Question based on the usage planned, should I increase ram, buy the drives, change from on board twin NIC ports to A PCIE NIC, or just go with a build? With the raid controller removed, I am not sure how to configure the new drives.
Yes, money is definitely an issue at this time. I would prefer to buy one of the units at Amazon but not an option at this time. Even money, (about $305 est) for upgrade will be questioned.
I can deal with most BIOS issues but any help would be appreciated. If some one has already asked this, please accept my apologies and/or point me to the discussion.
Many thanks for any help for a newbie,
NoServeguy

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
8G of RAM is the absolute bare minimum for FreeNAS, with more recommended for serious use.

Note that FreeNAS encryption might not provide the type of protection you desire. Documents are not encrypted, but the drives themselves. This prevents others from accessing that data if the drive fails and is returned under warranty, or if the system is stolen or otherwise powered down. After the system is up and running, the data is accessible through standard sharing protocols subject to permissions.

NoServguy

Dabbler
8G of RAM is the absolute bare minimum for FreeNAS, with more recommended for serious use.

Note that FreeNAS encryption might not provide the type of protection you desire. Documents are not encrypted, but the drives themselves. This prevents others from accessing that data if the drive fails and is returned under warranty, or if the system is stolen or otherwise powered down. After the system is up and running, the data is accessible through standard sharing protocols subject to permissions.

The encryption should provide the desired need. Server will not be linked outside and will run in VPN environment. I wanted to make sure if the physical system was stolen no data would be accessible. "Key" will be with me or locked in vault. The information about document security is appreciated as I was not familiar with that issue but would no prove critical in the area of security I most wanted. The RAM info is helpful as it may prove to get me by if I can resolve other issues such as regarding the hard drives. Thank you for the fast reply. I know the community gets a lot of amateur request and a reply is always great!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I have had several of the T310s in the past, you *might* be able to use the breakout cable from the H700 on a proper HBA (H200, H310, LSI, etc.) but off the top of my head I don't recall. If you decide to connect the drives straight to the SATA ports on the MB, then you may have "growth" issues since the specs say it has a "Maximum Internal Storage" of 4TB.

If I recall that system tops out at 32 GB of RAM, so if possible fill it up (I know price is a concern).

Onboard NICs should be fine I would venture.

That is all I can think of right now, will post more when I have time.

NoServguy

Dabbler
I have had several of the T310s in the past, you *might* be able to use the breakout cable from the H700 on a proper HBA (H200, H310, LSI, etc.) but off the top of my head I don't recall. If you decide to connect the drives straight to the SATA ports on the MB, then you may have "growth" issues since the specs say it has a "Maximum Internal Storage" of 4TB.

If I recall that system tops out at 32 GB of RAM, so if possible fill it up (I know price is a concern).

Onboard NICs should be fine I would venture.

That is all I can think of right now, will post more when I have time.

The 32gig I found runs about $260. I am a bit confused about the difference between the H700 and say the H310 you mentioned. When you have time, if you do, could you give be a bit of insight on this issue. I always (in workstations considered Adaptec but thought RAID was RAID with different forms 0,5, etc or a JBOD). I get the impression I am to look for some sort of controller that allows extended storage range but merges disk through software?
So far you forum members are really helping me solidify this possibility or making a case to justify a better alternative (for a price). Thanks for the reply!

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi,
for FreeNAS you want to get FreeNAS full access to the physical disks. This means, no hardware RAID, let Fn do the paritiy. If you want to get a RAID controller you want to flash it to IT mode so the connected disks were shown as JBOD will full access for FreeNAS. I have installed in my T310 for backups around 18TB storage with the Dell H310.

NoServguy

Dabbler
Hi,
for FreeNAS you want to get FreeNAS full access to the physical disks. This means, no hardware RAID, let Fn do the paritiy. If you want to get a RAID controller you want to flash it to IT mode so the connected disks were shown as JBOD will full access for FreeNAS. I have installed in my T310 for backups around 18TB storage with the Dell H310.
So in the T310 if I flashed the Dell H310 I could support more that the limitation of the onboard sata controller? (I always thought drive capacity was a limit of the OS.) Is it possible to connect this card to the blasted hot swap board, "I think it's called SAS 6G BP"? I know this sounds dumb, in the setup above, is data integrity on the drives good? To be honest from my encounters with RAID controllers the biggest pain is if controller fails your data is up the creek unless a backup controller to replace is handy. It seems this is where the sticky part of using this system is. (The cost of "free", I guess.) Other thoughts are appreciated.

IceBoosteR

Guru
So in the T310 if I flashed the Dell H310 I could support more that the limitation of the onboard sata controller? (I always thought drive capacity was a limit of the OS.) Is it possible to connect this card to the blasted hot swap board, "I think it's called SAS 6G BP"? I know this sounds dumb, in the setup above, is data integrity on the drives good? To be honest from my encounters with RAID controllers the biggest pain is if controller fails your data is up the creek unless a backup controller to replace is handy. It seems this is where the sticky part of using this system is. (The cost of "free", I guess.) Other thoughts are appreciated.
Tricky question, so with some branded-hardware-vendors there are limitations for the onboard HW/RAID/SATA controllers, as it might be the case for the T310. With a flashed SAS-HBA to IT-mode the problem will be pushed to the OS. The OS must support large drives and pools up to X-TB. But FreeNAS can handle this.
I have attached my H310 to
- the SAS backplane with 4 drives attached
- with a breakout cable (SAS to 4x SATA) another 2 drives to the second SAS-8087 port

With FreeNAS you got the advantage that it is a software RAID. When you encrypt the drives, you can set up another FN-setup and import the pool on whatever system. Without encryption you can import the pool on Linux, FreeBSD, ...

IceBoosteR

Guru
is data integrity on the drives good?
NAS Drives are recommended like Seagate Ironwolf or WD RED for expample. Please let us know what drives do you have.

NoServguy

Dabbler
NAS Drives are recommended like Seagate Ironwolf or WD RED for expample. Please let us know what drives do you have.
Gutting the old 250gb drives to replace with (2) WD RED NAS 3 TB. Do you think this would be a good entry option?

IceBoosteR

Guru
So you want to go with a mirrored vdev with 2 WD REDs?

NoServguy

Dabbler
Tricky question, so with some branded-hardware-vendors there are limitations for the onboard HW/RAID/SATA controllers, as it might be the case for the T310. With a flashed SAS-HBA to IT-mode the problem will be pushed to the OS. The OS must support large drives and pools up to X-TB. But FreeNAS can handle this.
I have attached my H310 to
- the SAS backplane with 4 drives attached
- with a breakout cable (SAS to 4x SATA) another 2 drives to the second SAS-8087 port

With FreeNAS you got the advantage that it is a software RAID. When you encrypt the drives, you can set up another FN-setup and import the pool on whatever system. Without encryption you can import the pool on Linux, FreeBSD, ...
This sounds like a good possibility. I just got a comment from the owner that we have two older PowerEdge SC1430s collecting dust also. I think they are dual core but I don't know much else yet. I think if I can work around the hardware in the T310 it might be the best. I just want to avoid throwing good money at a bad idea in spite of cost. I am having to leave the office and I live in a rural area with no internet beyond 56KB or Sat and those are trash. I will check all the great replies when I return to work tomorrow. Thanks, You have been most kind with your time!

IceBoosteR

Guru
This sounds like a god possibility. I just got a comment from the owner that we have two older PowerEdge SC1430s collecting dust also. I think they are dual core but I don't know much else yet. I think if I can work around the hardware in the T310 it might be the best. I just want to avoid throwing good money at a bad idea in spite of cost. I am having to leave the office and I live in a rural area with no internet beyond 56KB or Sat and those are trash. I will check all the great replies when I return to work tomorrow. Thanks, You have been most kind with your time!
No worries. I will have a look at this other machine. But my setup is only for backup and it is running DSM, not FreeNAS (as I want to have a backup on a different platform).
So the question is, what do you want to archive in the end? Getting the most out of old hardware, or have a decent system with minimal afford to run? Then FreeNAS is maybe not the best way to go.

Edit: The PowerEdge SC1430s is a really old piece of hardware. I would not use it for a production system.
Please keep in mind when you build a NAS that you need a backup. RAID will not replace a backup :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am using a T310 in my work and the only thing that I had to change was the SAS controller but you will need some more memory also.
Does this organization allow you to purchase from eBay?
When I get home, I can post links to the items you will need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

NoServguy

Dabbler
So you want to go with a mirrored vdev with 2 WD REDs?
I am thinking it might be good as so far 3 years worth of data only take up 1.5 TB so far. The items are scans in PDF and TIFF file format. We currently use a program that scans the images and encrypts the files an set them in SQL. I think straight scan to the storage would be good with the drive encryption as I would have no need to use proprietary software. Thoughts?

IceBoosteR

Guru
I am using a T310 in my work and the only thing that I had to change was the SAS controller but you will need some more memory also.

Chris, do you have something not at work? :D :D :D

IceBoosteR

Guru
I am thinking it might be good as so far 3 years worth of data only take up 1.5 TB so far. The items are scans in PDF and TIFF file format. We currently use a program that scans the images and encrypts the files an set them in SQL. I think straight scan to the storage would be good with the drive encryption as I would have no need to use proprietary software. Thoughts?
Sounds good, but I would go with the 4TB drives. Only 15 bucks more where I live and they are good. And you are more future-proof.

NoServguy

Dabbler

Yes. He doesn't seem to mind the $260 for 32 gig of RAM and the Reds are my preferred. Back up as IceBoosteR mentioned, is something I am concerned about though. Man, you forum guys are great!

IceBoosteR

Guru
Yes. He doesn't seem to mind the $260 for 32 gig of RAM and the Reds are my preferred. Back up as IceBoosteR mentioned, is something I am concerned about though. Man, you forum guys are great!
;)
For backup I thought about Synology. If you want to have automated backups and does not mind about Non-ECC-RAM, go with a cheap 1 bay unit and throw in another 4TB drives. Works great.
If you want to salvage your other gear I am not sure if you find an OS with disks encryption with an automated backup function. But you can of course run FreeNAS on the other system (with 8GB of RAM), a single WD Red 4TB (as it is only a backup, but it is not that recommended in the forum though), you could use automated ZFS sent/receive snapshots for backup.
But there a literally a ton of options to do whatever you want to do. Even Cloud backups are possible^^

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I am a bit confused about the difference between the H700 and say the H310 you mentioned. When you have time, if you do, could you give be a bit of insight on this issue. I always (in workstations considered Adaptec but thought RAID was RAID with different forms 0,5, etc or a JBOD). I get the impression I am to look for some sort of controller that allows extended storage range but merges disk through software?
So far you forum members are really helping me solidify this possibility or making a case to justify a better alternative (for a price). Thanks for the reply!
H700 is a full fledged Hardware RAID controller that cannot be flashed to IT Mode. Even though you could make disks appear in a JBOD, FreeNas would not fully have direct access to the disks. That can lead to future issues. The H310 and H200 (what I mainly use) can be flashed to IT Mode and will permit FreeNAS to have direct access to the disks.

I just got a comment from the owner that we have two older PowerEdge SC1430s collecting dust also
I have 2 or 3 of these collecting dust as well... TBH, I would leave them collecting dust. Not that they are that bad, but being a 1U and only accommodating 4 drives; they will run hot and loud. Personally, I use all Dell C2100/FS12-TY for my office/lab and will argue with anyone who thinks they are bad. ;)

The 32gig I found runs about $260
FWIW, For ~$360.00 you could get a whole T310 with 32 GB of RAM and a H200 (eBay Link). Of course there is always a Dell C2100 that could be had for around the same price but has much more room for growth (will just leave it at that). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.