SOLVED System won't reboot or power down after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil

Dabbler
I used to have FreeNAS 9.10.1 installed on this very system, since then only change I've made is upgrade my system firmware.

I'm now trying to freshly install 9.10.2-U3 and keep getting stuck at the following screen:
kQHFCDP.jpg

I've also tried installing without a network cable and in both UEFI and BIOS mode but no matter what the system refuses to power off or reboot at the end of the installation. Could this be some sort of bug?

Additionally I tried resetting my system firmware settings to factory defaults with no avail...

Running an Asus H110I-Plus motherboard with the latest 3402 BIOS, again I had no issues with FreeNAS 9.10.1 with an older BIOS version.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Can't explain it. First I've heard, personally, of something like this.

But then again, you are using precisely the wrong chipset (H110) and mobo for FreeNAS, so we won't have a lot of experience with that.

What are you using for boot media? Have you ruled out some oddness with the boot media? Especially if it's a USB thumb drive, I'd try a fresh thumb drive just to eliminate variables that have been known to be problematic in the past.

Please tell me you did not buy this motherboard brand new specifically for a FreeNAS :(

Fil

Dabbler
Can't explain it. First I've heard, personally, of something like this.

But then again, you are using precisely the wrong chipset (H110) and mobo for FreeNAS, so we won't have a lot of experience with that.

What are you using for boot media? Have you ruled out some oddness with the boot media? Especially if it's a USB thumb drive, I'd try a fresh thumb drive just to eliminate variables that have been known to be problematic in the past.

Please tell me you did not buy this motherboard brand new specifically for a FreeNAS :(

I don't think this chipset is inherently incompatible as I was running an older version of FreeNAS with all the updates for close to a year. Everything was working, HDD power-save, USB 3.0, jumbo frames with the on-board NIC etc. I had almost 100 days of uptime with 9.10.1.

I will try with another USB stick just in case there is an issue with it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I don't think this chipset is inherently incompatible as I was running an older version of FreeNAS with all the updates for close to a year. Everything was working, HDD power-save, USB 3.0, jumbo frames with the on-board NIC etc.

I will try with another USB stick just in case there is an issue with it.
I didn't say it was incompatible. I said it was a very bad choice.

Fil

Dabbler
I didn't say it was incompatible. I said it was a very bad choice.

Tried with another USB stick, same result. I think something must have changed with FreeNAS' power-management since it's like the system isn't sending the halt/reboot command.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When issuing poor hardware things might look like they work. But that is only because you don't know where to look to see if it's broken. Kind of like running a car with no oil. It will run just fine until one day it doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Fil

Dabbler
When issuing poor hardware things might look like they work. But that is only because you don't know where to look to see if it's broken. Kind of like running a car with no oil. It will run just fine until one day it doesn't.

Well I guess I'm going to wait for FreeNAS 11 or go the OMV route. My hardware is pretty standard and meets all the requirements for FreeBSD even though it's not in some compatibility list.

I can only see it being a problem if you're running hardware the kernel was never built for like bleeding edge, or really old pre-Core 2 Duo era stuff. I'm not asking for much, H110 isn't exactly brand new like Z270 is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does the process not simply continue if you do a hard power down at that point?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Maybe it's stuck trying to get a DHCP lease.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I used to have FreeNAS 9.10.1 installed on this very system, since then only change I've made is upgrade my system firmware.
Are you stating that the system started acting this way immediately after the BIOS upgrade or are you saying that the last major change you did was the BIOS upgrade and it could have been a few days earlier? I don't want to mis-understand you as there is a big difference between the two.

Things you can look at...
1) BIOS - ACPI settings. Factory default doesn't mean it's a good setting. You may need to tinker a bit.
2) BIOS - I have no idea how familiar you are with your BIOS and what each setting means but go through them, maybe something will stand out, but if you have no idea what you are looking at then don't change anything dealing with voltage or speed. Feel free to ask what something means if you are thinking about changing it.
3) Install FreeNAS using the BIOS setup and leave it that way for now, it's generally the most compatible.
4) Boot up an Ubuntu Live DVD and see if it works fine, meaning you can also power off the system without issue.
5) I like the suggestion that @SweetAndLow made, maybe it's waiting. If it waits for an hour then I doubt that's the issue but you never know.

While it's not normal, could you flash your old BIOS version back to your motherboard? I wouldn't do this unless you had exhausted everything else first.

Reactions: Fil

Fil

Dabbler
Maybe it's stuck trying to get a DHCP lease.

It's possible,
Are you stating that the system started acting this way immediately after the BIOS upgrade or are you saying that the last major change you did was the BIOS upgrade and it could have been a few days earlier? I don't want to mis-understand you as there is a big difference between the two.

Things you can look at...
1) BIOS - ACPI settings. Factory default doesn't mean it's a good setting. You may need to tinker a bit.
2) BIOS - I have no idea how familiar you are with your BIOS and what each setting means but go through them, maybe something will stand out, but if you have no idea what you are looking at then don't change anything dealing with voltage or speed. Feel free to ask what something means if you are thinking about changing it.
3) Install FreeNAS using the BIOS setup and leave it that way for now, it's generally the most compatible.
4) Boot up an Ubuntu Live DVD and see if it works fine, meaning you can also power off the system without issue.
5) I like the suggestion that @SweetAndLow made, maybe it's waiting. If it waits for an hour then I doubt that's the issue but you never know.

While it's not normal, could you flash your old BIOS version back to your motherboard? I wouldn't do this unless you had exhausted everything else first.

Right so it seems to be firmware related. Asus released an update a few months ago to add support for Kaby Lake CPUs, I suspect this may have something to do with the ACPI oddness. Nevertheless, flashing to a version prior to this update seems to work just fine.

I'm probably going to wait for FreeNAS 11 GA anyway since it's getting really close now (and it's running an updated FreeBSD kernel) :)

Lesson learned: Never upgrade system firmware unless you have a damn good reason to!

Fil

Dabbler
Just to let everyone know, FreeNAS 11 RC2 works flawlessly. Looks like the new BSD kernel does properly support the post-Kaby-Lake firmware :)

It's still very odd that firmware for a chip I'm not even using seems to have caused FreeNAS 9.x to behave oddly...

Status
Not open for further replies.