Installer hang at Power Button (fixed)

smakfactor1

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I am brand new to the FreeNAS world, and am really looking forward to digging in!

Unfortunately, I'm having issues with what I assumed would be pretty easy/straight-forward installation wise. This is not my first experience with creating bootable USB drives. I've tried 3 USB sticks of different size/manufacturer. I've tried 4 different .iso to USB creation tools. No matter what I do the installation will fail at Power Button (fixed). I have the latest version of the software available for download as of a few hours ago.

From my searching over the last few hours it seems that booting to EUFI mode is a must, so I am doing that(also tried without..). I've tried multiple different USB ports on my case(note none are less than 3.0). I've played with multipe BIOS settings as well.

The box doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Other than buying an external drive and trying that route I am pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Please see the attached screenshot. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Chris

Attachments

• 20200420_191526.jpg
    20200420_191526.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 191

smakfactor1

Cadet
Just updating...same exact result when using an external DVD drive and a disk. Freezes at Power Button (fixed).

It is a new build so I am wondering if it's hardware related at this point, but I have no issues POSTing, or leaving the machine on overnight.

I guess my next step would be to try to get anything installed...maybe even just a Windows 10 to test hardware.

Please jump in if anyone has any thoughts.

I'll update again after I try a different install.

Thanks,
Chris

smakfactor1

Cadet
Update:

Windows server 2019 installs via USB without issue. It doesn't appear to be hardware related.

Honestly I'd rather avoid the Microsoft Tax on this, but I don't have any other ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 2020-04-21_19-25-42.png
    2020-04-21_19-25-42.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 176

smakfactor1

Cadet
Likely my last post about this. Flashing to an older BIOS allowed me to install without issue.

I haven't tried flashing to the newer one after the installation was completed, and likely won't at this point as all seems well.

Cheers,
Chris