SOLVED install locks up right at "active set on" Drive X

DeWebDude

Explorer
Hello,

I installed the current ISO on a USB, and ran the installation from it, to another usb, things start of as usual, and once the installation starts it locks up on "active set on da8"
Did this a few times wiping out the target USB, then I re-downloaded the ISO made another clean USB for installation and tried a different USB drive as the target with the same result.

I used FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1.iso

Any ideas?
My nas is down per say and want to try to get it up and running.

One side question which I believe is NO not going to work, is if I install on another computer to the USB Boot, then restore my settings from the previous environment will that work?
I understand network and such will have an issue if I install on another server.

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

Which utility did you use to write the ISO?
Which version of FreeNAS?
What are the system specs you are installing to?

DeWebDude

Explorer
I used FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1.iso
I used win32imager to burn the disk.
Installing to the same box that was running from the 9.x ISO and then upgraded to the 11.2 version, which the boot usb had issues, so I was installing a new USB to boot from and going to restore my config.

HP DL180 G6

Thanks!

DeWebDude

Explorer
My issue is not a boot issue, but is an installation to a boot device issue.
I have tried 2 different USB Drives ( thumb drives) both USB3, both quality brand devices.

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Check that the BIOS is at its latest revision. How many drives are in the system and how are they cabled? Does trying from a USB2 port succeed? Which brand of USB drives did you try?

DeWebDude

Explorer
The original USB we used was USB3 but running on a USB2 Port ( Older HP Server ) and we did the same now, with 2 different USB3 Drives on the USB ports.

DeWebDude

Explorer
Update:
After several attempts I finally left it alone for a long window of time, and it looks like it installed, VERY slowly but installed (30 minutes +).
Once the install finished to the USB wanted to reboot, I was never asked to prepare the disks or to restore settings, so I rebooted.
Once the New USB boot drive booted, it took forever to get to some messages:
middlewared: loaded plugin crytpo
middlewared: setting up plugins ( alter) (1/17) but then just sits there.
The system has NO ip since I have yet to be able to get to a menu and try to restore config or configure an IP manually, this really seems wrong.

Am I missing something, doing something wrong etc?

Thanks!

DeWebDude

Explorer
OK, 3+ hours to install onto usb, boot into menu and restore.
Then after restore reboot over 20 minutes....
Does this mean we should forget USB/Thumb Drives and start using SSD disks for boot?

Thank goodness we don't have to reboot the NAS to frequently.

Thanks!

ethereal

Guru
it shouldn't take that long - i'd go with a ssd

DeWebDude

Explorer
Just to share the information, I tried 2 different USB drives with fresh installs each being painfully slow.
At the same time I tried a USB SSD disk, but once it installed, if failed to boot with an error.
So your choice is the USB is no longer supported from the HP DL180 G6, or maybe something is bad with something USB on the motherboard.

Installed SSD drive on the motherboards controller and worked like a charm.

TheOneWithin

Cadet
Having this same issue with a DB75EN, i7 3770 and known good USB drives.

Just sits forever on "active set on da1" then follows that up after a few minutes with "random: unblocking device."

What's worst is that i know it can work well as i moved over a USB that had an operation FreeNAS install onto this machine and it booted quickly.

Tried on my MSI B350/Ryzen 1600 machine too with similar results. Stuck at the same place.

Have tried a total of 6 different USB sticks of varying sizes and speeds in different ports etc with no change.
Any thoughts?

TheOneWithin

Cadet
Just tried on the off chance it might help...

No better using a DVD disc. Still "shits the bed" as some say.

DeWebDude

Explorer
I would say try an SSD drive, I fought it because I have a few systems running USB drives, but I believe its no longer viable.

TheOneWithin

Cadet
That's the thing though...

It worked fine on another systen (P61 series chipest and 2500k) using the same USB drives.

I can use an SSD but it's a complete waste of an SSD...

Would be nice if someone higher up could provide some guidance?

I'm not going to hold my breath though seeing as no one has bothered to reply in the months this was sitting here.

DeWebDude

Explorer
Having it work is more important that a $40 SSD for a new 250GB, less for smaller and you if you have an old 128GB even better, plenty of even less expensive SSD's on ebay. I was just happy to get it running.

TheOneWithin

Cadet
Still doesn't actually FIX the underlying problem though... Plus i can't just run down to the shop and get a replacement SSD whenever i like.

I would have to order one in and it would take a week+ to arrive.

In the time you replied i have installed it to an SSD without issues using the same USB media i have been the entire time.

Not very impressed...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Still doesn't actually FIX the underlying problem though... Plus i can't just run down to the shop and get a replacement SSD whenever i like.

I would have to order one in and it would take a week+ to arrive.

In the time you replied i have installed it to an SSD without issues using the same USB media i have been the entire time.

Not very impressed...
If you are having trouble with the installation finishing, you might need to change installation type. Some system boards need to be setup as 'Legacy" instead of UEFI.

TheOneWithin

Cadet
Neither UEFI or Legacy fix the issue.

Both just stall at the same point.

Worked fine for both UEFI and Legacy with a SATA SSD.

Tried USB2.0/3.0 ports and all. All the same problem.

Can only assume there is something wrong with the installation setup as 2 completely different pieces of hardware had the same problem but an older P65 chip worked fine...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Neither UEFI or Legacy fix the issue.

Both just stall at the same point.

Worked fine for both UEFI and Legacy with a SATA SSD.

Tried USB2.0/3.0 ports and all. All the same problem.

Can only assume there is something wrong with the installation setup as 2 completely different pieces of hardware had the same problem but an older P65 chip worked fine...
Did you submit a bug report on the tracker? This could be some type of hardware incompatibility that needs a patch.

https://jira.ixsystems.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa