Syncing and sharing with TrueNAS Core

egghog

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I’m a freelancer and I send and receive a lot of files back and forth between clients. I’m looking for a solution that will allow them to upload files straight to my NAS, and for me to share files in turn.

In the past I used QNAP, which had very easy functionality within the UI to right-click a file and share a link. However it sounds like it’s not as simple with TrueNAS. Ideally I’d have the files accessible through my SMB shares so it's easily accessible.

I tried setting up NextCloud using mount points to connect my project folder, but it didn't seem to work. (maybe I'm just not following the right guide? Does anyone know a good simple guide for NextCloud with TrueNAS?)

The most important part is simplicity, because customers aren’t going to be able to figure out VPNs, NextCloud clients etc.

In addition to file sharing, syncing with other contractors and co-workers during projects is also important. In the past I again used QNAP’s solution, Qsync. This was great as it synced everyone’s local folders with the server. I've heard Resilio Sync is good for this, but can it do individual folders on an SMB share (so that I'm not giving them access to the whole share)?

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Broffrey

Cadet
Interesting, as a regular Synology DSM user, I'm also looking for that feature if it's missing in TrueNAS.

sretalla