Sharing files at home and on the internet

swingarm

Dabbler
When I decided to install Nextcloud I was looking for a way to share my files already on Truenas but I'm finding out that SMB/Nextcloud just don't work together so I'm here to see if there's a way to make this work? I've done some investigating and have found nothing that really works. The closest is INotify but it won't install because of a missing library. So I'm just here on the off chance that I missed something(and I've missed my fair share in my life) to make this work or maybe get me an alternative(not Webdav).

Whattteva

Wizard
Have you tried Syncthing? Far easier to setup than something like NextCloud and could even work behind firewall with relays.

swingarm

Dabbler
Have you tried Syncthing? Far easier to setup than something like NextCloud and could even work behind firewall with relays.
If I did do Synthing instead of Nextcloud then I wouldn't have cloud access unless you mean syncing my SMB folders with Nextcloud, would that even work? Can Syncthing do 2 way syncing?

swingarm

Dabbler
Have you tried mounting your datasets to your nextcloud jail and sharing them that way?

Also, I have not had issues combing nextcloud with smb and sharing those folders.
What about file permissions, doesn't Samba need root:wheel and Nextcloud www:www?

Whattteva

Wizard
What about file permissions, doesn't Samba need root:wheel and Nextcloud www:www?
Samba doesn't need root: wheel.... it needs whatever user/group are assigned to the ACL's... assuming you're using Windows ACL's.

If I did do Synthing instead of Nextcloud then I wouldn't have cloud access unless you mean syncing my SMB folders with Nextcloud, would that even work? Can Syncthing do 2 way syncing?
Syncthing can indeed do 2-way syncing. However, if you want to share ALL your SMB folders, Nextcloud may be better especially if you have large files as Syncthing will download all files under them, even large ones.

swingarm

Dabbler
In nextcloud you just add the SMB using the SMB user credentials. Then you need to enable sharing on the SMB storage inside nextcloud.
Before I posted I did try adding the SMB but kept getting the red circle with the exclamation point, wish I could see actual errors so I could troubleshoot better. As a Nextcloud newbie how would I enable sharing?

victort

Guru
When adding the external storage, (whether it is SMB, or local) there is a drop down on the right side. There is an option there to "Enable Sharing"
The red circle means either an authentication error, or it cant reach the share.